Friday, June 23, 2006


Wednesday's Dinner, Thursday's Lunch and Muffin Friday
Okay, there is so much food to post about that I thought I'd better do it in chronological order so it makes sense.

First up we have dinner from Wednesday - not mine, but what I cooked for Dad. He is an omnivore but will eat anything that tastes good, and has eaten vegetarian or vegan every night for five days running! I'm loving holidays, cos I have the time to cook. Anyway, these are Mexican Tofu Tacos from The Everyday Vegan (By Dreena Burton). As you know, I'm obsessed with this book and still have it on loan from my library. When I have to return it I'm going to do a review of every single recipe I tried (it may take about three posts!) so wait till then to hear more about these tacos.



Next is what I had for lunch yesterday. It is Mayo #2 from Juliano's RAW: The Uncookbook which if you have been reading my recent posts you will know I am loving since I started getting into raw food. Anyway, this stuff is pure heaven (as is most of the stuff in the book). I don't know how one gets a mayo consistency, although I was guessing amounts to make a heck of a lot less than 2 1/4 cups. The ingredients are cashews, celery, lemon juice, garlic, onion, tomato and bell pepper (capsicum). If (when) I make it again I'll add some cucumber to get it runnier but it was so yummy that I sprinkled it with sprouted lentils, added some chopped sweet potato and ate it with a spoon! The picture does it no justice.


The leaning tower of muffin!
Now we have muffin Friday. This week I did something different and made two types of muffins, because I really wanted to play around with the recipe I made last week but I wanted something different as well. I made these muffins, but subbed wholemeal self raising flour for the unbleached, baking soda for the powder, used less sugar and cashews. Oh, and I halved the recipe. These are really nice and I highly recommend them, but they were a bit sweet for me, who is now used to sugar alternatives :-)


Muffins in an ugly green tea towel
Last of all, we have the Pumpkin Raisin Muffins I made - last week they were Pumpkin Hazelnut Muffins and I said they were perfect, but that was an overstatement and the problem was the hazelnuts, so I cut them and replaced with raisins. I can't tell you just how nice they are because when I ate mine it wasn't cooked all the way through and the others had to go back in the oven, but I'll let you know tomorrow. Uncooked, it was pretty darn good! I only made four muffins, so the recipe which follows is actually double what I did. Please, try and let me know what you think! Oh and by the way, I didn't chop my finger open cutting the pumpkin this week :-)

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups self raising wholewheat flour
1/2 cup atta flour (a very finely ground wholewheat flour that lightens the muffins)
1 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1 cup mashed pumpkin (I used butternut)
6 tbsp apple juice concentrate
3/4 tbsp tahini
2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup soymillk
about 2tbsp water (or more soymilk)
lots of raisins

Instructions:
PReheat the oven the 180 degrees. Get your cokked pumpkin (sorry, I don't know how much it is raw) and mash it in a bowl then add the apple juice concentrate, tahini, applesauce and soymilk and whisk with a wire egg whisk. In another (big) bowl mix the flours, sift in the baking soda and nutmeg and mix until the nutmeg is evenly spread throughout. Make a well in the centre and pour in the pumpkin mixture, stir until all the dry ingredients are just wet, the fold through the raisins. Place large spoonfuls of mixture into a silicone bake pan (or lightly oiled regular pan) then bake until browned and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Not sure how long this is because, as I said, I took mine out and they weren't done and had to go back in. It depends on the oven anyway. Makes about 8 large muffins. Enjoy!

Thanks for reading all that!

3 Comments:

At 7:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freedom...your food looks great. I love tacos too. The raw may stuff looks yum. I don't know much about raw, but I'm really starting to get curious. I love that you're writing about your experiences with it....I'll be tracking you!

 
At 10:43 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks Megan! I'm super-curious about raw too and am getting into it more and more, so if you're interested keep checking in!

 
At 11:58 am, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Nice! How come no tacos for you?! Not raw?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home