Saturday, June 03, 2006


Simple Salsa and Other things
I have officially completed my first ever semester of University! I now have one week for study, followed by five exams spread over 9 days (the first of which is on a SATURDAY!) and then five whole weeks of holidays. Personally I actually think five weeks is over doing it but hey - what are you going to do? Anyway, what this means is that I will have lots more time to blog/read blogs/comment on blogs and I will be cooking lots more interesting things to share. Yay! To kick things off, I had a salsa for lunch today. I don't know the technical definition of salsa, nor have I ever eaten one, but I have seen a few recipes for mango salsa, which really appealed to me. Last week I got two really cheap mangos, as it is the very end of the season. One went into a smoothie and the other one has been patiently waiting in the fridge. Unfortunately the price of the mangoes was reflected in their rather sorry, bruised state, but I managed to get enough good bits. I studied a few different recipes then just threw something together, and it was good. All you americans suffering through extreme heat - I recommend you try! I didn't measure, so everything is estimated - alter to taste!

Ingredients:
-flesh of one very small mango
-1/2 tomato, chopped fairly small (any kind you like - organic is best, of course)
-about 2 or 3 tbsp corn (fresh, tinned, frozen - I used tinned)
-about 1 or 2 tsp red or green capsicum (Bell pepper) chopped finely
-3/4 tsp fresh coriander (cilantro) chopped fine
-juice of half a small lemon
-1/8 tsp dukkah spice or cumin powder
-teeny tiny pinch cayenne pepper

Instructions:
Put everything in a bowl and mix well with a fork, mashing the mango up a bit. If I had a hand blender I would have stuck it in and given everything a quick mix up but I don't, so I didn't. Place bowl in the fridge for about 20 minutes (or more) so that flavours can combine and then serve with some coriander for garnish.
I made some pita chips while this was in the fridge by tearing a wholewheat mini-pita into chunks and sticking them in the oven for about 10 minutes - it went really well! Tasty and super good for you - the only fat I had was 0.3g in the pita!
Have a good day everyone and thanks for stopping by!

4 Comments:

At 1:38 pm, Blogger primaryconsumer said...

Congratulations on your first semester! That salsa looks really yummy.

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

MANGO SALSA!

Attagirl! I love it.

And way to go on getting thru semester No. 1. Keep up the good work, VMP.

*HUGS*

 
At 6:06 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

The salsa was really yummy, especially for something completely made up by someone who's never had salsa!

Unfortunately the hardest bit of semester is yet to come... exams.

It may be obvious, but what is VMP?
Thanks for stopping by the blog!

 
At 5:12 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Vegan
Muffin
Princess

is VMP!

:o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home