Wednesday, June 21, 2006


Sushi etc
Here is some super yummy food for everyone to drool over! I told you that I’d be cooking lots and I’m not going to let you down, so here is the first installment. Pictured above is my lunch for today, consisting of DELICIOUS raw sushi, which is just nori stuffed with carrot, sweet potato and cucumber sticks, smeared with the Almond Flower Cheese I mentioned yesterday and covered with baby spinach leaves. This is totally yumm yum yum! Sprinkled on the plate are plenty of sprouted lentils (I’m really into sprouting now), two sun-dried tomatoes and five raw organic cashews.



This picture shows the present I made for my mum while she was at work today. It is based on the Chewy Nutty Cereal Chip Squares recipe from Dreena’s The Everyday Vegan but I think I altered the recipe enough that I can post it. So here it is as I made it:

Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ tbsp rice malt syrup (or other liquid sweetner)
- ½ tbsp rice milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- pinch sea salt
- ½ tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup Rice Bubbles or other puffed rice cereal
- 1 ½ tbsp carob chips

Instructions:
Place the peanut butter, maple syrup, liquid sweetner, milk and sea salt in a saucepan over low heat and stir until all nicely melted and mixed together. Don’t let the mixture boil! When it is all melted together add the vanilla and stir through, then pour in the rice bubbles and mix around until they are totally coated in goo. Toss the carob chips in last and mix as much or as little as you want – if you stir lots they will melt, or you can just stir a little and leave them whole/partly melted. Put some baking paper in a brownie tin and tip the mixture in, spread it out to an even thickness (however thick you want) then put in the fridge to cool. The thicker you spread it the longer it will take to cool and harden but mine took about an hour and a half. When it’s cool, peel away the baking paper and cut into squares (or any other shape you desire).

Mum and Dad both said they were totally delicious and half the batch is already gone even though I only made them three hours ago!

I’ll be back tomorrow with more yummy treats for you to enjoy. Thanks for visiting!

6 Comments:

At 9:53 am, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Looks like you've been busy. Glad to see you making such great food... and enjoying the fruits of your labour! ENJOY!

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger Dori said...

AWESOME! What a treat! I am linking you under Blogs I read Page.

 
At 12:34 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Oooh, thanks Dori! YOu've been on my page for a while... I love reading up about what's going on in the Bakehouse. And I'm so jealous of your great garden!

 
At 12:35 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Oooh, thanks Dori! YOu've been on my page for a while... I love reading up about what's going on in the Bakehouse. And I'm so jealous of your great garden!

 
At 11:30 pm, Blogger zenpawn said...

Did the rice crispies stay crispy? I have had some soggy batches of no-bake bars like this using rice cereals. Therefore, I tend toward a granola or other heartier cereal. Just wondering if I'm the only one.

 
At 7:18 pm, Blogger Akc Commodities said...

Thank you for this blog. That's all I can say. You most definitely have made this blog into something thats eye opening and important. You clearly know so much about the subject, you've covered so many bases. Great stuff from this part of the internet. Again, thank you for this blog.
rice cake chips

 

Post a Comment

<< Home