Thursday, June 08, 2006

Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme
A Veg*n Meme

What wonderful foods did you bring home from the grocery store?

Midweek Munchies: What Freedom is contributing for the week



I had a very short list of things at the regular supermarket today, which makes me very happy. I'm planning a big trip to the wholefoods shop on Monday to get lots of organics in bulk so I will include what I get there in MwM next week. Although I have been wanting to go this way (more bulk/organic) for a while I am extra motivated at the moment thanks to a book I'm reading... don't have time to elaborate now but I'd love for you to guess. Here's a clue on what it is (actually, two clues) 1) it is a part recipe book and 2) the author has a restaurant in the US (I think it's california). Anyway, I also went to the oriental supermarket, which is where the first three things come from. I will also be going to the organic fruit and veg shop on saturday as usual.

fried tofu (not deep fried though - very low fat)
white miso (I had to buy an enormous packet and I only want a little bit - recipes?)
rice paper wraps

wholewheat pita bread
soy milk (low fat, iron, calcium, B12 enriched)
bottled orange and mango juice
salt free tomato paste
sundried tomatoes (new purchase - finally found some not packed in oil!)
jar of raosted red peppers
$firm tofu$ (remember the $ means organic)

royal gala apples
granny smith apple
baby spinach
field mushroom
passionfruit
banana

Okay, now that Munchies is done, I have to share one of the most exciting nights of my life... I met Peter Singer last night. Two weeks ago I found out that he was presenting a free speech, along with an awesome animal advocate named Lyn White, and I came hold and told my mum and she said "who's Peter Singer?" I was appalled. Just in case anyone doesn't know, he is the author of 'Animal Liberation' (commonly know as the animal rights bible), and numerous other books, the father of the modern animal rights movement and was named as one of Time magazine's '100 most influential people in the world' in 2005. And I sat next to him. Yes, NEXT TO PETER SINGER!!! Looking for a seat, I was called over by two ladies I met at a protest a few weeks back who (for some reason) had seats in the front row, with one spare. So I slipped in and said hello and then began introducing Spirit the rat to all the people sitting bhind me who saw her head come out of my shirt - yes, she comes just about everywhere. Then the man on my right wanted to meet her and I said something to him (can't remember what) and then suddenly went OH MY GOD THAT'S HIM!!! Both his speech and Lyn's were inspirational and heart wrenching and I was weeping openly along with Peter as Lyn showed videos from her trips to Middle Eastern slaughterhouses. There was an open forum for questions at the end and the final question of the night was "how do vegetarian/vegans deal with feeding their pets meat?" and Peter responded with "well, dogs are fine but with cats there is more of a problem. I tend to suggest that if it is a real concern for you, when your beloved pet passes away replace it with one that is naturally a vegetarian. For example, the lady (Not I do not regard myself a 'lady' but there you go) sitting next to me has a rat crawling around her jumper and they make great vegetarians." (For your interest, Spirit is a strict vegan and has been since I rescued her.) So not only did we sit next to him but he talked about us!! I'm not the type to be impressed by famous people but in case you can't tell I'm a little start struck here. I even got him to sign my copy of Animal Liberation.
Well, after that long rambly post, I have to go have dinner!
Happy Munchies everyone.

Links to other Midweek Munchies
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
Technorati Tag:

A special thanks to Running2Ks and Rift for all of their help with coding, graphics, and encouragement for this project.

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required. Have fun and Go Veg!

8 Comments:

At 5:53 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

SO AMAZING!!

Getting to hear/see/be touched emotionally by Peter Singer. That is truly wonderful. I'm thrilled for you!!!

 
At 11:08 pm, Blogger kaivegan said...

Good for you for meeting and sitting next to PS.

Regarding the miso, check out my first post from the new blog. Leave me a comment if you need specifics.
http://kaivegan.com/

Also, I don't know if you saw my comment the other day. I noticed you still have the stolen kaivegan blog on your list.

 
At 10:34 am, Blogger karen said...

That is AMAZING that you met Peter Singer! And that you sat with him and he made reference to you. You are a lucky girl...

 
At 8:11 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Kleopatra - I was pretty thrilled too (in case you can't tell :-)

Kai - I was thinking of soup for the miso. I have now updated my link so it goes to your new blog (that sucks about the old one :-(

 
At 9:45 am, Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Freedom, that is just too cool about Peter Singer, Spirit, and everything! Wow!

 
At 4:59 pm, Blogger Transport company in Medina said...

أفضل https://www.adwaajeddah-sa.org/mdinah-menwara/transfer-furniture-mdinah-menwara.html شركة نقل في المدينة المنورة والنجارين المبهرين في تفكيك وتركيب الأثاث والمفروشات.

 
At 6:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow Creation is the process to change the color of an image or video..Shadow Creation It means correcting the lighting, white color balance, red or blue color balance, so that the image looks more clear or natural

 
At 8:42 pm, Blogger خدمات منزلية said...

شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالاحساء
شركة عزل اسطح بالاحساء
شركة عزل اسطح بالدمام
شركة عزل اسطح بالجبيل
شركة عزل اسطح بالقطيف

 

Post a Comment

<< Home