Monday, June 26, 2006


Tofu 'Neat' Balls and a good day
This is the dinner I had on Saturday night - it is taken (in part) from, yes you guessed it, The Everyday Vegan! The recipe in the book is actually for 'Sweet and Sour Neat Balls' but the sweet and sour sauce didn't appeal to me too much - I make my own with you 1/2 tbsp sugar but this used half a cup! (although that was serving four...still). The 'neat' balls, however, looked delicious so I made them and threw together my own accompaniment.

First, the neat balls - yum! Wait for my full review of TEV in the coming weeks to get more details but for now I can tell you that they are very good.
The side I made was simple - mix together some water, powdered veggie stock and dark miso, boil it in a non-stick frying pan (or a normal frying pan if you want to make life hard for yourself when cleaning up) and add a slice of eggplant. Just let it do it's own thing, flipping occasionally, until all the liquid is gone - simple and delish. The green stuff (I do love my greens!) is asparagus and chinese cabbage, sauteed in a little water and seasoned with rice wine vinegar and sea salt. I may have overdone the salt a tad but it was yummy - I missed my kale though because the organic fruit and veg shop (the only place I've ever seen it) didn't have any and the girl serving recommended the chinese cabbage instead. It's nice but not kale, and also doesn't have the nutritional benefits.

Now, onto my explanation of how to have a good day...
begin (at midnight) jumping around the lounge room giving your Dad high fives and squealing in the wake of David Beckham's incredible goal. Go back to bed at 1am following England's defeat of Ecuador in the knockout stage of the World Cup, putting them through to the quater finals (with Beckham's being the only goal). (If you're interested I hate staying up late and will do so only for very special occasions. actually went to bed at about 9.50pm then got up at 11 for the football).

Get up again (properly) at 5.45am, exercise, and eat Strawberry Romanoff for breakfast (see last post). Yes, strawberry romanoff - this is one of the benefits of raw food... as Juliano puts it "you can have dessert for breakfast lunch and dinner and still be eating better than anyone on the planet." And it's true - my breakfast had walnuts, cashews, strawberries, dates and orange juice (and a little water) in it - how can this possible be bad for you?

Walk the dog down to the reserve at the end of the street and release the mouse caught in your humane mouse trap.

Spend about an hour checking e-mails, reading blogs, looking at kitchen toys on e-bay and playing solitaire.

Catch the bus to Fremantle (or other great town with total hippie culture) have a Pritikin Muffin from The Healthy Byte Cafe for lunch and walk to Manna Wholefoods, buy piles of great raw and organic foods in bulk and eat a delicious (organic) apple.

That's pretty much it thus far but this will be followed by making vegan dinner for omnivorous father, making own dinner, going for a walk and watching new episode of The Simpsons (I'm not a TV person but it's my one great love!)
Thanks for stopping by and I hope everyone else is having as good a day as me!

7 Comments:

At 11:01 pm, Blogger primaryconsumer said...

The time difference kind of confuses me (it's only 9:26 am here), but I plan on having a good day. :)

 
At 2:33 am, Blogger MeloMeals said...

sounds like a great day!

 
At 5:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW..you are having a good day! I've never tried the neat balls, but now I know I need too!

 
At 6:50 am, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Way to catch a mouse humanely. I love you for that! Nice to see you so happy... keep it up!

 
At 11:47 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Primary Consumer: yeah, the whole time difference thing is weird. I never know whether you are ahead or behind...

Melody: Nice to see you and your dog is adorable!

Megan: Yes, I recommend trying them. Big thumbs up!

Kleopatra: The mouse was so cute, it was great to watch it run off under a bush. Hopefully it doesn't get killed by any cats etc.

 
At 3:42 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

I saved a mouse in my parents' swimming pool earlier this year and took it to a place that rehabilitates wildlife. I gave them a checque and begged them to take care of the cutie... Good on you, mate!

 
At 7:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check it ou homes wood siding suppliers if your building homes go to Http://siding11.com/side.pl?y=helper

 

Post a Comment

<< Home