Saturday, June 24, 2006

Start Drooling Now...

How incredibly scrumptious does this look? I love it when food both looks and tastes good and I love showing it off on here. This is Strawberry Romanoff, also from RAW: The UNCookbook by Juliano and it does taste as amazing as it looks although it would be better if I had a better food processor :-( Speaking of which, however, I am currently watching an e-bay auction and might be getting a new one :-) I just hate spending money on things that I don't absolutely NEED... I feel like I'm just joining the rest of our consumeristic society, and it bugs me. That's why I don't own any vegan cookbooks. I always think "now I can buy Vive Le Vegan, or I can feed a starving family for X number of days, or free this many caged moonbears in China etc... now what am I going to do?"

Okay, mum just walked in and said she'll buy this thing for me! Check out the link: Wonder Chopper

So, after that slight digression let me return to the Romanoff. The 'cream' contains walnuts, cashews, orange juice and dates with a little spring water, mushed in a blender and then there are strawberries and more dates for serving. The cream was kind of gritty/lumpy because of my crummy food processor but it was so yummy it didn't matter. This book can do no wrong so far - every recipe has been outstanding.

An update on the Pumpkin Raisin Muffins - they are also super-delicious! REALLY, REALLY YUMM! I want to take them to a pot-luck next month (my first ever!) and I want to know if anyone else will like them so if you would like to try them, please, please check out yesterdays post and try them, then let me know what you think. Seriously, anyone, this would be HUGELY appreciated... my mum can't eat anything with wholewheat flour in it, Dad isn't a muffin person and I don't know anyone else who can try them cos I just moved interstate and don't know anyone! Thanks in advance!

7 Comments:

At 11:57 am, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Good luck on the eBay auction!!!

 
At 12:03 pm, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

What do you think of that raw cookbook? A lot of reviews I read say that the recipes are complicated or the ingredients are hard to find.

The strawberry romanoff looks good though!

I might try your pumpkin muffins later in the week. I'd have to sub some kind of dried fruit for the raisins because I hate 'em. I'll also need to pick up frozenapple juice and tahini.

BTW - I checked, the Olsen's are fraternal not identical...who knew!

 
At 1:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow - more mouthwatering raw food! I'm curious what you think of the cookbook to. If I'm gonna invest in one...where should I start?

 
At 6:49 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Kleopatra: I got outbid in the last 30 seconds. SUCKS!

Jody: In any recipe books some recipes are complicated but it also depends on your idea of complicated. The romanoff, for example just required throwing stuff in a food processor, but before hand it was necessary to soak the walnuts and cashews in water for a few hours, so it does require some forward planning. The mayo I made a couple of days ago (see recent posts) was DELICIOUS and took about 15 minutes in total - just throwing things into food processor.

In terms of ingredients being hard to find, I'm not sure. I live in Australia so something like jicama, which I've heard is very easy to find in the US, doesn't exist here. Personally, I don't think the ingredients in general are hard to find at all.

How can the olsen twins not be identical - they played the same person on that TV show for goodness sake!

Megan: I might be the wrong person to ask since I'm only just getting into raw myself. So far everything I have made from Juliano's book has been absolutely outstanding but I have also heard that the books by Alyssa Cohen (forget what they're called) are really good too. I actually have RAW on loan from my library, so I'm trying to decide which book to buy as well.

 
At 6:51 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Oh Jody, just noticed the muffin comment. Please try! I used fresh squeezed apple juice - if you have a juicer try that but frozen/bottled is fine. Another dried fruit or even walnuts or almonds would be fine in place of raisins (how can you not like them?).
I've heard that unhulled tahini works better for sweet recipes than hulled, but mine is imported and everything is in turkish or some other language I don't speak, so I've got no idea whether it's hulled or not.

 
At 1:31 pm, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

I picked up tahini tonight, but forgot apple juice. I'll make the muffins this weekend though!

 
At 11:26 pm, Blogger Taj food said...

Nice Website. You should think more about RSS Feeds as a traffic source. They bring me a nice bit of traffic
organic rice suppliers

 

Post a Comment

<< Home