Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Raw Avocado Roll

This is my first attempt at a raw recipe of my own... well, aside from chucking all the veggies in the frisge in a bowl and calling it salad! It came out really yummy, except for the coriander - I really don't like this but for some stupid reason I keep putting it in things! Anyone else have this problem with a food/herb/spice? I think I keep trying to convince myself that I'll eventually find a way in which I enjoy it but I think I shall have to give up. Anyway, here is the recipe:

Ingredients:
1/2 a small avocado (quite ripe)
about 1/4 tsp finely minced garlic
1-2 tbsp finely minced onion (any colour you like)
2 tbsp corn cut from the cob (or more)
about 1 tbsp finely chopped tomato
1/4 tsp fresh oregano
a tiny bit of fresh rosemary
coriander if you like it
1 leaf of any cabbage or lettuce you like eg purple cabbage or romaine lettuce. I uesd a chinese cabbage leaf which was nice but they have little hairs on them so it felt a bit weird.

In a bowl, mash the avocado with a fork and then mix in all the other ingredients except the leaf. Spread the mixture on your leaf, roll up and devour messily. Yum Yum! I was going to take a photo of the roll once it was actually a roll but then the rechargeable batteries in the camera ran out and I wanted to eat, so the 'before' photo is all you get! It actually stayed rolled up really nicely, surprisingly.

The past two days have been rather ... eventful in terms of my raw food journey. To sum it all up though, I now have a dehydrator and a coffee grinder on its way (for grinding nuts - to help out the pathetic food processor mentioned here). Both were purchased on e-bay, the grinder by me for the whopping cost of $5.50 (that was sarcasm in case you missed it!) and the dehydrator by my parents for rather a lot more. Not that much, however, considering the thing has only been used once and is in perfect condition. It was supposed to be a birthday present for my 18th, which is in October, so it is very early but I'm so glad my wonderful parents gave it to me now. Tomorrow I will have pictures of yummy dehydrated food! I'm so excited - I so so adore working with food (can't really call it cooking anymore, since I'm eating so much raw :-).
I leave you with a picture of my dehydrator!

Note: If you're interested, the lamp in that picture doesn't normally live in the kitchen. Yesterday afternoon all the lights in our house decided to stop working. Luckily, the power was fine, but we were in darkness all night and when the electrician arrived at 7.45am we discovered that there is something seriously wrong with the power box. I'm sot entirely sure what's going on but there was a chance we might lose power too and that hasn't happened, so I'm just glad about that.
Thanks for dropping by everyone, hope your day is as exciting as mine was - all it takes is some new kitchen toys!

8 Comments:

At 6:14 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your avocado rolls looks great. good work on your very own raw recipe!

Your dehydrater looks very fancy. Have fun with it! I'm looking forward to seeing what you create.

 
At 11:27 am, Blogger Catherine Weber said...

I've always wanted to try dehydrating things, but they take up so much space . . . and I have such a small apartment . . . you can dehydrate some things in the oven, right?

 
At 11:27 am, Blogger Dori said...

Yeah, a new dehydrator. A good reason to cook some food and party. :)

 
At 11:28 am, Blogger Catherine Weber said...

"they" meaning "dehydrators." Dehydrated things don't take up much space at all.

(Sheesh.)

 
At 1:18 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

I wish i liked avocado, i like the way it looks though!

Love new toys for the kitchen. Good for you, freedom!

 
At 3:27 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Megan: Thanks, the roll was good (except the coriander...) Don't worry, you won't have to wait long to see creations!!

Catherine: I personally don't think dehydrators take up much space, although my mum isn't too happy about having it in the kitchen... then again, I don't live in an apartment. As for using the oven, it's a tough call. 118F is the temp at which the living enzymes in lettuce die. This is different for other fruits and veggies but is used as the blanket temp, above which food is no longer considered 'raw'. Since yesterday I have made the disturbing discovery that my dehydrator isn't that high quality and actually heats above this temp, however, I am trying to cope with this problem by placing all five trays in and having the food on the bottom one, far away from the fan. You can use the oven to dehydrate by putting it on the lowest setting and then checking regularly with an oven thermometer, turning it off when it gets too warm and then turning it back on, but this would be very time consuming. If you're not fussed about being strictly raw, though, I think you can still use the oven on it's lowest setting and just keep the food in there for less time than it would need in a dehydrator. Phew that was a long response!

Dori: Absolutely!

Kleopatra: What a pity you don't like avo. :-( I really like it but have been avoiding it like the plague because of the fat content... buying (and eating) this avo was actually a big step for me :-)

 
At 3:30 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

Cool a dehydrator! I've been thinking about one for awhile. I picked a few raw cookbooks and would like to do raw foods a few days a week. I guess I'll be budgeting for the dehyrator...perhaps next month!

I'll watching your blog to see what else you cook up. The burgers look pretty good. They reminded me of a funky raw foods restaurant that isn't an hour from my house. I'll have to review it on my blog and on veggin out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home