Friday, November 09, 2007

My Dad the raw foodist?



No, not really - he is officially now an 'at home vegetarian,' who eats meat occasionally when out and also eats plenty of vegan meals at home, but I can't forsee him actually going raw in the near future. Nevertheless, this is the meal I gave him last Sunday night. With Summer weather now here, even if the season hasn't officially started yet, I figured I had more chance of getting away with giving him raw food - I feel I should take this opportunity to tell you something about my dad and salads. My Dad doesn't eat salads. For my Dad to eat a green salad he would have to:
a)have a gun to his head, being told that he was dead if he didn't eat it OR
b)be trapped in some kind of post-apocalyptic world where he had withered away to almost nothing and he was second from death if he didn't eat the salad.

In my Dad's world, there are three edible salads - pasta salad, potato salad and coleslaw. So I looked at that list and said, well, coleslaw is kind of the raw-est of the three. And how easy is it to make raw mayonnaise? (The answer is VERY). So I did - I made him coleslaw with raw mayonnaise, the mushroom mix from the Wild Fajita recipe that I made him on my birthday (go back two posts) and chopped up a tomato. It was served with two homemade, vegan, seitan patties that were obviously not raw. He ate the patties, the tomato, nearly all of the mushroom mix and quite a bit of coleslaw. His response? Well, he said "it was okay, but I didn't love it. It's all about changing perceptions." Hehe, I couldn't have put that last bit any better myself. He then said I could give him raw things, but it would be better if they were spread out over different meals, not all together (except raw tomato which he is "happy to see at any time." The man likes his tomatoes!)
He apologised a couple of times for not enjoying it more but I told him to stop being silly - this is the man who, only a couple of years ago, proclaimed himself a 'meatatarian.' He just ate an entirely vegan, largely raw meal - that's pretty damn impressive! Oh and yes, my Dad does eat on his lap, off a 'stable table' and he even uses a bib (a tea towel tucked into his shirt). Don't worry, I make fun of him plenty! :-)

Oh and incidentally, the was the best freakin' raw mayonnaise ever to grace the face of this planet, seriously, I had just a wee taste and wanted to drink the entire blender full. I chose not to do so, for the simple reason that none of the ingredients were organic and the cashews used weren't *truly* raw. But I shall be re-creating it for myself next week after my trip to the markets on Saturday.

P.S Remember a couple of posts ago, I said my parents bought me something for my birthday over the net and it hadn't arrived yet? I guessed it was a bike computer... and it was! It arrived a few days ago and I haven't got it completely working but it is so cool!

3 Comments:

At 7:32 am, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

How cool that your dad is trying out all this new stuff? He is a lucky guy to have you making great food for him like that! Raw mayo, sounds impressive.

A new bike computer, that's exciting. I've got one on my bike, but I never seem to understand how to use. ---I read the directions and I'm still confused.

 
At 11:06 am, Blogger Jennie said...

Hey Freedom, do you ever wonder how you became a vegan with a dad who is 'meatatarian'? I was pondering this yesterday about myself. I think it's great that you are getting him to try more and more healthy foods.

You're making all these fab foods... when are you going to update your recipe blog? I feel like I'm being teased! LOL.

The photos of the picnic were fanstastic. Sergei is amazing isn't he? I met him a couple of days ago and I'm going to see him tomrorrow night in Byron. Yaaaaaaaay!

I can't believe you are the same girl that I 'met' online a year ago. You are looking so healthy and vibrant! You impress me girl...

Big loves. xooxox

 
At 1:42 pm, Blogger CoffeeAndCopyrights said...

Love your blog. I can't find your email though... Keep spreading the raw love...look at how you are changing your dad. AWESOME.
Check me out at
www.rawfitmama.blogspot.com

Jayna'

 

Post a Comment

<< Home