Monday, September 25, 2006

Very Lucky Little Raw Foodie



Before I start, this is my 100th post! YAY! I can't believe how long I've been blogging and how many cool people I've 'met' through my and other blogs. The internet truly is a wonderful thing. I've had some of the most awesome (should I say RAWsome?!:-) comments lately about how my blog has inspired people or put a smile on their face and that makes me feel so good, so keep those comments coming! If I can turn one person vegetarian, vegan or raw, or even just get them eating more of those foods, I have changed the world and that makes me feel great. It has also been wonderful to have this 'virtual support' as I make my journey to raw and overcome my eating disorder.

Now, onto what we're all here for... FOOD! Pictured above is Greensleeves Salad from Shazzie's Detox Delights - as I said yesterday, all I want at the moment is salad, salad and more salad, and this book has so many great options. I left out the onion but I think that was about the only change I made. I stumbled upon a great dressing in one of the Living Nutrition Magazines that my new friend Joss gave me last week (more on that later), it was really simple and just what I wanted. In a food processor, combine avocado, celery, fresh herbs of choice (I used dill and parsley), lemon juice and orange juice. It went perfectly with this salad.



Now, I shall tell you why I'm so lucky. First of all, the picture above shows a Young Coconut, also called Green Coconuts, Thai Coconuts, Thai Green Coconuts, Drinking Coconuts, Kulaway Nuts (not sure where that one comes from)... and probably more! These. Are. Heaven. If you have never tasted one, go and do so now, somehow. I'm very lucky because I've discovered a SUPERMARKET that sells them! Not organic, not as good as fresh ones I'm sure, but still amazing. I splashed out on Saturday and bought TWO. They're not cheap but they're worth it!



Next up I will explain some more of my incredible good fortune (normally I don't say luck, I say good fortune, because I think we really create our opportunities and experiences - not much happens due to luck alone. Anyway...) as I mentioned in a previous post, a new friend I met on the Raw Pleasure forums (see link in sidebar) sent me her old copy of Shazzie's Detox Your World (EXCELLENT book). Unfortunately it might be a while tell I get to really 'meet' her, as she lives about 7 hours away by plane, but I have also made loads of awesome friends who live nearby and who I have actually met in person. One of them is a great lady named Joss, who only lives about 20 mins walking from me. On saturday she contacted me on the forums to say she had a whole tray of black sapotes that she had gotten really cheap, and would I like some. Ummm... YES! If you don't know, black sapotes are a tropical fruit also called 'chocolate pudding fruit,' which I had never tried but was desperate to. So I walked and met her yesterday and we did a fruit exchange and now I have 6 sapotes. Oh wow they're yummy! I've heard lots of ways people eat them, and I have some cool recipe ideas brewing, but so far I've just enjoyed half of a big one in its pure fresh goodness. Sorry the picture above is blurry - it shows an unripe one, while the one below is ready to eat. I took four photos showing the inside of the one I started, and how chocolate-puddingy it looks, but they were all blurry.



Oh and in case you hadn't noticed in a few of my recent photos (including the sapote ones) we have got a new dining table. We actually didn't have one before, and haven't since we moved at the beginning of the year - I'm a hippie and I eat sitting on a great big embroidered cushion on the floor (I also sleep on the floor - I love being close to the earth) and my parents are slobs (kidding!) and eat on their laps. But now we have a table, and it is great for photography.

Last thing of all (this became a very long post!) is my dinner from Saturday night - Cheeseburger #2, a Juliano recipe. As you will know if you've been following my blog for about the last 25 or so of the 100 posts, I LOVE Juliano. The man is a genius and all his recipes are sublime. What's great is that they stand up to lots of adaptation - for example, I never use olive oil but have not had a problem yet. Now, these were nice. But they weren't brilliantly mind blowingly good. The recipe suggests only dehydrating for 3-4 hours - mine got 5 1/2 and I think they would have been better with more. I'm not sure what it was about them - ocassionally a bite would be really awesome, and then others would just be good. They definately won't be replacing Cheeseburger #1 in my weekly recipe rotation! Oh and he suggests serving them on pieces of Real Toast with Mayo #1 or 2 but I wrapped mine up in a big lettuce leaf with a Cheeze Sauce I invented. I'll post the recipe on my other blog later if I can be bothered, but for now I advise you to hop over there (link in the sidebar) because I FINALLY posted the soup recipe that I blogged about ages ago.



Have an incredible day everyone!

10 Comments:

At 10:27 pm, Blogger Harmonia said...

Congrats on the 100th post! I LOVE that plate! The food looks yummers, too! Have a happy day!

 
At 9:51 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks Harmonia, I love the plate too - I only got it last week! My mum bought it for me from a charity shop for $2 - it is hand painted! I collect interesting crockery.

Hey Kathy, I'm glad i inspired you :-)

 
At 2:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great stuff. I'm so glad you are finding support and friendship here on the internet. Changing the world, one person at a time... nice attitude, Freedom! Love the plate, too. Keep up the good work on being good to YOU.

 
At 9:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats...100 posts and going strong.
I wish you could come grocery shop in my neighbourhood. I live near china town, and those young coconuts are everywhere for about a dollar each.!!

 
At 10:59 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Oh Megan, I'm so jealous! I don't think I'd eat anything else if they were that price (although is that US or AU$? What's the exchange at the moment? So confusing)

 
At 11:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. young coconuts are $1 at an asian market here in nyc.

 
At 12:19 pm, Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme clothing
golden goose
supreme hoodie
fila sneakers
balenciaga triple s
jordan shoes
hogan outlet
golden gooses
kobe shoes
nike vapormax

 
At 8:23 pm, Blogger Taj food said...

Hi, I’ve been a lurker around your blog for a few months. I love this article and your entire site! Looking forward to reading more!
american long grain rice

 
At 11:36 pm, Blogger Taj food said...

Thanks for informative post. I am pleased sure this post has helped me save many hours of browsing other similar posts just to find what I was looking for. Just I want to say: Thank you!
sultana raisins suppliers

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger Akc Commodities said...

This is a really good read for me. Must agree that you are one of the coolest blogger I ever saw. Thanks for posting this useful information. This was just what I was on looking for. I'll come back to this blog for sure!
best organic brown rice brand

 

Post a Comment

<< Home