Saturday, September 09, 2006

Cross, Confused and Crackers
I hate this whole Blogger Beta thing! I don't understand what's going on and if anyone can help I'll be hugely appreciative. I tried to sign in to the new blogger beta and wound up creating a new blog... I can't figure out how to just upgrade this one to beta, so that people can comment. AGGGH! So please, if you can assist in anyway I will be very happy. FOr now I'll just post this and see what happens.

Sorry it's been a while since I posted - I haven't had much time and to be honest I was really upset that my last (VERY LONG) post got so few comments, so I wasn't in the mood. Then I found out that everyone who had upgraded couldn't comment, so I felt a bit better. Anyway, I didn't produce much food in my absence unfortunately, but you have to forgive me because I have four midsemester exams in the next two weeks!



SO here is something I did make - not overly photogenic but really, really tasty... it's a big plate full of flax crackers! And this isn't all of them either. They taste great, and even my dad liked them! At my first raw picnic a while back someone had some delicious flax crackers and here is the very approximate recipe he gave me:

Flax seeds soaked for a day (once expanded they 3/4 filled a decent sized mixing bowl)
2 large carrots grated
A few spring onions chopped
Some dulse flakes
Some celtic sea salt to taste
Some italian herbs (i just used the masterfoods ones from the shelf but by all means go the fresh option smiley)
Tiny bit of olive oil
Tamari

I wizz up the carrots, spring onion, dulse in the food processor to get it finely chopped. Then I mixed in the flax and gave it a good wizz together. I try to break up the flax because they are hard to digest so don't be afraid to give it a good wizz. If you have a vitamix don't let it puree everything though smiley. Add the tamari, and a splash of oil to get it into a nice paste. If you want to get a bit more flavour then add some salt to taste. Spread it out on your oiled dehydrator teflex sheets making sure that the edges are slightly thicker than the middle, because when they dehydrate the edges seem to thin out. I usually make mine around 8mm thick so when they dry out they are about the thickness of the ones at the picnic. One they are spread out sprinkle a bit of the herbs on top. Dehydrate for 4 or 5 hours then flip onto the normal trays (no teflex sheets). Dehydrate until crispy. Enjoy with awesome live toppings.


I used 1/2 cup flax seeds (that's how much there was before soaking - they swell up A LOT), 1 medim carrot, fresh parsley, basil, mint and dried 'mixed herbs' and skipped the tamari and olive oil. I won't put the mint in there next time... luckily I didn't use much, it really just didn't work for me but was mostly overpowered by other flavours. The crackers are nicest where they're nice and thin and crispy. For lunch on tuesday I ate a whole bunch of them, a few plain, a few with avocado and tomato and a few with zucchini and grated carrot. All were delish!

Now, I think I need to do the thing that's going around... I was hoping someone would tag me but they didn't, so I'm tagging myself! Being only 17, I don't know that I can really think of five foods that you HAVE to eat before death, as I don't think I've experienced enough. But I'll tell you five foods that are really awesome.

1.Raw Pizza. Oh wow this is so good. So good.A zillion times better than regular pizza.

2. Raw sushi. Made with really raw, fish free nori, it tstes like you'fe eating the ocean.

3. Young Coconut.Kai already did this one but I don't care, it is incredible. Coincidentally, my parents jsut walked in having bought me one, swoon. I can't wait to eat it!

4.Ummmm... I don't know. Really, it's so hard. Fresh organic corn off the cob. That's just great.

5. I can't make up my mind so I'm just going to say... FRUIT! Any kind, as long as it's at its absolute prime. I eat 8 pieces a day!

9 Comments:

At 5:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those flax crackers look great. We are going to get a dehydrator soon. I like your list, coconut is great, and you are funny... any fruit.

 
At 8:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are what I was eyeing next for my next raw excursion!

megan the vegan

 
At 4:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm well you'll have to wait till Blogger lets you switch THIS blog to Beta. I had to wait a while to switch mine too. It will show up with a link and tell you how to do it. They come at random from what I've heard.

 
At 5:04 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks urban vegan... they are delish!

Ohh, zuke, you have to get a dehydrator. It is definately worth it!

Same for you Leslie, dehydrators are an awesome appliance! And since you've got Juliano's book, you can creat some of his delectable dehydrated goodies!

Megan, the crackers are definately a good way to go... i know you had a few unfortunate raw experiences (the cashew yoghurt...) but I can't imagine these not being yumm!

Thanks Kleo - my naturopath wants me at 10 pieces but 8 is working at the moment. Although if you count savoury fruits like tomato and avocado...

Thanks Dori, yes, the whole blogger thing really is bugging me!

Yay, nicki, an answer to my question! Thanks! I guess I'll just sit back and wait.

 
At 5:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! Just wanted to say that i love your blog, and your honesty in your writing and musings on things. i am vegan, thinking about going raw, and you inspire me!

 
At 8:46 am, Blogger Mary said...

Yay I could really use your help!! I want to incorporate more raw food into my diet. I just wrote something about it on my blog, so if you can comment that would be really cool. I don't want to be 100%, but perhaps 80% or so. I really want most of my meals raw, so any suggestions would be great! Also, do you need a dehydrator to be raw? I can only get so many kitchen appliances (small kitchen).

 
At 10:40 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

R_K, you should definately get a dehydrator :-)

Thankyou so much Molly, it is great to know that people actually read my blog, and to think it inspires them is even better. RAW is incredible, you should definately try it.

Mary, I've commented on your blog.

 
At 10:43 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

R_K, you should definately get a dehydrator :-)

Thankyou so much Molly, it is great to know that people actually read my blog, and to think it inspires them is even better. RAW is incredible, you should definately try it.

Mary, I've commented on your blog.

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

cheap ray ban sunglasses
ugg sale
louboutin shoes
coach outlet
cheap oakley sunglasses
fitflop shoes
coach outlet
cheap uggs
michael kors handbags outlet
michael kors outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home