Friday, August 25, 2006

Food glorious Food
Sorry it's been a few days, I'm so slack :-)
I read somewhere the other day that in most people's view it would be impossible to be a raw vegan because no normal person has enough time to spen on preparing the food, and I found this hilarious so the first part of this post is devoted to blowing that myth out of the water. Personally, I think it's pretty obvious, I mean, think about it - I eat fruits, vegetables, nuts and sprouted seeds and grains. To make a salad I have to chop, maybe grab the food processor and whiz up a few things for a dressing. For a snack I grab a few pieces of fruit and bite them... what could be quicker? Think of someone eating a 'normal' diet - you can't eat meat without cooking it for at least 10 or 15 minutes. Even if you snack on garbage like chips or cake you've got to open the chip packet or bake the cake ahead of time. Even for vegans although tofu can be eaten raw, I don't think there's many of you out there who particularly like cubes of raw tofu - it has to be marinated at least, then probably fried/grilled/baked. Sprouting seeds and grains takes time in that they have to sit for a few days but it isn't exactly a labour-intensive process.
I know I'm being overly simple here because I don't live on just plain individual fruits and veggies, although I am eating more and more of them. I spend time every night preparing dinner but then I did that before I was raw - now I just don't have to turn the stove on. Of course if I want something a little more 'gourmet' it takes longer and I might have to make it ahead of time so it can dehydrate but again, preparing a fancy cooked dish doesn't happen in seconds either.
Just in case anyone is thinking that maybe I'm someone who is currently unemployed or spnds loads of time at home and therefore has a slightly warped idea of time in the 'real' world I'm going to point out that I am a full time university student studying Veterinary Science (and doing pretty darn well too) so I do NOT have hours and hours to spare each day. The fact is that I adore being in the kitchen and it is one of the most relaxing activities I can undertake.
I am now moving on to giving you an example of something I might take to uni to eat for lunch/snack.

In this picture we have:
-guacamole (In the biggest round container)
-celery, zucchini, sweet potato sticks and cauliflower florets for dipping (in the snap-lock bag)
-1 pink lady apple
-2 mandarins
-1 banana
-unhulled tahini (in one of the small round containers)
-raisins (in the other small round container)

The guac, dippy veggies and apple are lunch. The mandarins are snack and the rest is for my current favourite treat. Should I tell you how to make it? Okay, I will. First, peel your banana then slice it in half so you have two short pieces, then slice each of these in half lenghtwise so you're left with four longish pieces that are flat on one side and round on the other. Spread 1/2 to 1 tsp tahini on the flat side of two of the pieces, place raisins in tahini then sandwich the other pieces of banana on top and eat like a sandwich, being careful of all the tahini oozing out! This is heaven. Perhaps I ought to take a picture to make more sense? :-) (By the way, it's also great minus the raisins).

Packed and ready to go.
Okay, just quickly here are some other things I've been eating lately:

Tahini and Mushroom Sarnies (from Shazzie's 'Detox Delights'). Oh. My. Goodness. YUMMMM! I can't wait to have this again... so simple but soooo good. And yes, that is a baby picture of my in the background... I coulnd't be bothered cropping the pic.

This is a dip I made yesterday. I started off measuring the ingredients but then just kept adding them so I've really got no idea, but it tasted great. I softened two slices of eggplant in the dehydrator for about 1 1/2 hours then spread this between them and it was great. I love raw eggplant - I don't find it bitter at all.

Okay last of all, if you haven't checked out the latest recipe at my recipe blog I suggest you do it now by clicking here or here. You won't regret it!

Have a rawsome day!

6 Comments:

At 2:16 pm, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

your lunch looks delicious & i especially adore your bag! it's great. now that you mention it, that is such an irony that people say a raw diet takes too much time -- hello, how much time is spent cooking the food? :o)

 
At 3:43 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Good for you, freedom! I really like your strong belief system in how you eat. Standing up for yourself (and the animals) is RAWSOME! Nice going, girlie!

 
At 11:09 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Vicki, I love the bag too - it comes from PETA although that particular version is no longer made. Yeah, it is kinda funny about the whole cooking thing...

Thankyou kleo, I don't like to do anything that compromises my morals but it's great that other people can see this too!

 
At 11:49 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey Kathy, you can get it at the PETA website - the new ones are cool too, and they have a little bottle holder on the side!

 
At 11:51 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey raising kahne, thanks for commenting! I've never been to your blog before but now I have and it's cool! I LOVE raw sweet potato - even before I went raw i liked them better for dipping than carrot sticks!
I love tahini in any way but I think these treats and raw hommus might be my faves! I would really love some raw cashew butter (or any other nut butter) but can't get it here in Aus, so tahini is my substitute!

 
At 11:39 pm, Blogger Mary said...

I looooooooove the bag. It's so cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home