Sunday, August 13, 2006

My Month of Raw
Well, I promised I'd tell you how my first month of raw vegan living has been and so here we go.
I haven't noticed that many physical changes - my skin hasn't started clearing up yet as I had hoped it would, but then I'm a teenager and pimples (unfortunately) come with the territory. There is some more bounce in my hair, which is great because I LOVE my hair - it is far and away my favourite part of my body and I have not had it cut more than trims since I was 7. Also, my fingernails seem a little stronger and are now curved rather than lying flat. And, (you probably don't want to know this!) my bowel movements are now much more regular - I have learnt that going every two days or so is actually constipation and you should go 2 or 3 times a day, optimally. Finally, although I think I'm gaining weight (on to that in a minute) I no longer feel really bloated after every single meal like I used to. Oh and I actually feel hungry now, despite the fact that I'm eating more.

Now, onto the mental changes. I will start with my weight - you may be asking why this comes under mental not physical and the answer is that the reason I only weighed about 32kg (I believe that is around 76 pounds) is a purely mental one and it is my mental changes that have allowed me to start gaining weight. I feel so impossibly incredibly amazingly RAWSOME that I can't put it into words. I have been suffering depression since age 14 and anorexia since 15 and although there have been some periods that have been much worse than others (eg being suicidal, cutting myself) and I thought I was pretty much better before going raw, I know now that there is a whole other world out there! I still have a long way to go but I am so far down this happy path after only a month that I never plan on going back. YAy for life!



Now that the rather more seious things are aside, lets look at what I had for dinner last night (cos I know that's all you really come here for :-).
Another spectacular sucess from Juliano's book! This is a Phenomenal Falafel Burrito 9altered somewhat) which consists of:

a red cabbage leaf (the burrito)
2 Falafel Patties (another recipe in the book, also altered)
chopped cucumber
chunks of tomato (supposed to be halved cherry tomatoes but I didn't have any)
a big smearing of hommus (there are two recipes in the book but I prefer my olive-oil free version which you can find at my other blog)
a chopped spring onion

I think that's it - Juliano suggests lots of other toppings but I was very happy with this how it was. I made one third of the falafel recipe and got three falafels so i now have one left over that can join me at uni for lunch one day this week, yay! As my mum said, the burrito was very 'cute' and it tasted great. I had no idea raw cabbage was so nice! Plus it was really easy to eat - I've never had a 'real' burrito pre-raw but I have had tacos and everything falls all over the place, whereas with this it was wrapped up nicely and made the trip from mouth to plate without spilling everywhere!



I have to go and study and clean out the cage of Spirit the beautiful rat (I might post a pic of her in the coming days!) so I will say goodbye, thanks for stopping over and I hope everyone has an outstanding day!

7 Comments:

At 12:09 am, Blogger MeloMeals said...

I'm so glad that you're finding a way to nourish yourself now... and that you are healing.

 
At 9:07 am, Blogger Eat Peace Please said...

Good for you! I am glad to hear your positive outlooks on life and yourself and your body.

Your raw burrito looks amazing. I love any type of falafel. Great post!

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger KleoPatra said...

Way to go, my friend. Please keep taking good care of yourself. We love you!!

 
At 5:58 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey Melody, thanks for dropping in to visit. I am glad too!

Leslie, I am a huge falafel fan too, this recipe really hit the spot - you've got the book, as soon as you get yourself a dehydrator you can try this recipe :-)

Thanks Kleo, I love all my blog friends too!

 
At 6:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I totally know what you mean.

I'm a recovering anorexic/vegan and your raw blog has really inspired me to take the next step into eating more natural.

And I agree. That raw burrito looks super yummy. :)

 
At 9:25 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Bonnie that is the most wonderful thing to hear, I'm so glad I've inspired you! Best of luck with your recovery and please visit again!

 
At 3:20 pm, Anonymous Michael Bynum said...

Good for you! I am glad to hear your positive outlooks on life and yourself and your body. Your raw burrito looks amazing. I love any type of falafel. Great post!  

 

Post a Comment

<< Home