Friday, May 19, 2006



TDMs - Tropical Delight Muffins
Yay, it's muffin time again! How I do adore Fridays. These muffins aren't quite as delightful as I was hoping but they are good and I have a feeling that they will be better when they have cooled. Anyway, who can not love something with chunks of mango in it? Also, I had considerably less pineapple than I thought so that flavour is really lacking - don't you hate it when you've been planning something for days and then it doesn't come together as you hoped? The muffins look really good though, and my photography skills are definately improving! (At least for muffins). By the way, how cool is this plate? I picked it up at the local "Good Sammy" (staffed by intellectually disabled people - I guess it's what you Americans call a 'thrift store'). It cost 75cents and was hand painted in Italy! I think I'm going to start collecting interesting crockery. Okay, here is the muffin recipe:

Ingredients:
- 1 3/4 cups self raising wholemeal flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached plain flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp vegan brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice. I used fresh (how I love my juicer) but bottled is fine.
- 1/4 cup low fat soymilk
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup/agave nectar/other liquid sweetner
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp desicated coconut, toasted in a frying pan
- lots of dried tropical fruit*

Instructions:
Preheat the oven to 180C before you start. In a large mixing bowl combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg and sugar, making a well in the centre. Whisk together all the liquid ingredients in a separate bowl and then add to the dry indgredients, stirring to combine. Stir through the coconut and fruit then spoon into silicone muffin pans and bake for 25 mins or until browned and springy.
I'll let you know tomorrow but, as I said, I think you would be better off letting them cool a little.


** For the fruit I used dried paw paw and mango, which was just heavenly to bite into - this was left over from Easter. If you want something a little cheaper (as these certainly aren't) you could use apricots, peaches or pineapple.