Tuesday, May 30, 2006


MPMs Marvellous, Perfect, Magnificent Maple Pecan Muffins
I had you fooled, didn't I? You all thought "hmm, she must not have made muffins on Friday like she normally does." Would I do that? Me, the muffin princess? Of course not - I couldn't get through the week without my muffin friday.
And it was a paricularly enjoyable one this week because I made a big splash out at the shop and bought real maple syrup - from a tree! up until about a year ago I didn't realise that what I had always eaten as a child wasn't real maple syrup, rather, it was maple 'flavoured' syup, but just to give you an idea of the junk I was consuming, here are some of the ingredients: sugar, glucose (from wheat), colour (caramel), flavours, food acid (citric), sulphate.
There's a few more too. The difference between this and the real maple syrup is out of this world - it was delicious!!! I don't know why, but I associate maple syrup with autumn - can anyne suggest why? Is this when the syrup is 'harvested' (hey, I'm from Australia okay - I don't know much about maple syrup. My mother didn't even know it came from a tree until I told her!) So anyway, being the last friday in autumn I decided to go with the maple syrup, and I just think pecans are the perfect partner.So without further ado:

Ingredients:
-1 1/2 cups self raising wholewheat flour
-1/2 cup cornmeal
-1 1/2 tsp baking powder
-EnerG Egg (or similar) equivelant to 1/2 an egg
-1/3 cup pure maple syrup
-2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
-1/4 cup low fat soymilk
-1/4 to 1/2 cup water
-as many pecans as you want

Instructions:
This is getting a bit repetative... preheat your oven. In one bowl combine all the dry ingredients then in another combine the wet ones (I suggest mixing the 'egg' up before you start so it has a chance to do its thing) and then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix until combined (don't overmix). Stir through the pecans and place in silicone muffin pans. Bake until risen and browned - was actually typing my Midweek Munchies post while these cooked and they got a little bit longer than I intended but the centre has a beautiful soft texture and the contrast with the crunchiness of the tops was good.
This made 8 (i think).

The photo shows off my real maple syrup and after taking it I also realised that it has the shape of geese flying in v formation - so its even more Canadian!

6 Comments:

At 1:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Vegan Muffin Princess, we would like to invite you to The Vegan Club. We have been reading your blog for some time and we cannot do without some of your recipes anymore! Have a look at the site and if we convinced you, please reply to this email stating that you would like to join in!
If you are interested in re-publishing your most current entry here every now and then or submit original content, let us know! We would LOVE to have your voice on our page!

 
At 2:54 am, Blogger Alexandra said...

Actually, the maple syrup is "harvested" in February/ March here in Ontario,Canada. :)

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Oh thanks alex! That's Australian Autumn but I guess it would be ... spring there. Wonder why I associate maple syrup with autumn? Maybe because of maple leaves in big piles... anyway, thanks for stopping by the blog!

 
At 2:51 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

LOOKIN' GOOD there!!!

Nice muffins.

I loooooooooove maple syrup, too...

Found u thru the wonderful vegancore blog. This place is quite nice!

 
At 10:53 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks Kleopatra - yep, I love vegancore too!

 
At 2:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't understand how you consider yourself a raw vegan when you cook/bake most things?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home