Saturday, April 08, 2006

SCM's - Superb, Classic, Magnificent Seedy Citrus Muffins
Well, I promised that I had some good recipes coming up, and here is the first one. I had never tried Lemon Poppyseed Muffins but for some reason in my mind they are a 'classic' muffin flavour so I wanted to try some (I had no idea until after I made them how high fat poppyseeds are!) I did a general yahoo search and found a horrible, fattening, nonvegan recipe which looked easy to modify. But then I bumped into this recipe forOrange Flax Seed Muffins and it appealed to me for two reasons, one it had dried apples in it which I LOVE and two there is a big container of flax seed in my cupboard which I don't like to use because of it's fat content (yes, I knew that flax was fatty but didn't make the connectoin with poppy) but which was annoying me. So anyway, I mashed the two recipes together and Seedy Citrus Muffins were born. I actually think if I made them again I might leave the dried apple out - a few too many flavours. Because of all the seeds they have a bit of a 'gritty' texture but taste great. Also, they are absolutely amazingly good for you! I haven't finished working it out but the nutrition content is enormous. Here goes:
Ingredients:
-2 cups self raising wholemeal flour
-3/8 cup vegan brown sugar
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-equivelant to 1 1/2 eggs
-1/4 cup low fat soymilk
-3/4 cup orange juice
-2 tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
-1/8 cup poppyseeds
-1/8 cup flax seeds
-1 tsp grated orange rind
-1 tsp grated lemon rind
-1 cup chopped dried apple (optional)

Instructions:
Preheat the oven the 200 degrees (celsius).
In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder and in a medium bowl combine the soymilk, orange juice, applesauce and 'eggs.' Add the liquid to the dry ingredients slowly until you reach the desired consistency - I actually didn't quite use all of the liquid. Mix until all ingredients are combined then add the seeds, rind and apple (if using). Bake for about twenty minutes and enjoy!
This makes 11 medium muffins.

There are great photos but for somre reason they won't upload so come back tomorrow and maybe they will be here!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home