Friday, March 24, 2006


CBMs
Cute, Beautiful, Marvellous Corny-Bean Muffins.

Today marked my first foray into the world of savoury muffins and I would say it was a big success. I have had a recipe for cornbread muffins for a few months and have been looking forward to trying it and with inspiration from Susan's Tamale Bites i created what you see in the photo above. The consistency wasn't quite what I would have liked - they were a bit denser than normal muffins so in future I would use egg replacer, but the taste was great. So here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
For the muffins
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 3/8 cup self-raising wholemeal flour
- 3/8 cup regular self-raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/8 cup low fat soymilk
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 tbsp vegan brown sugar
For the filling
- tinned 4 bean mix (garbanzos, red kidney, great northern and baby lima)
- tinned corn kernels
- finely chopped red and green capsicum
- tomato paste
- a little dukkah or cummin

Instructions:
Mix all the dry muffin ingredients in a medium bowl and make a well in the centre then pour in all the wet ingredients and mix until combined. You may find the mixture a little dry, if this is the case just add a little more water or soymilk. To make the filling, simply combine all ingredients and mix until the tomato paste coats everything. To make the muffins, place about a tablespoon of mixture into a slicon muffin pan and then shape a little dent in the middle, then put a heaping teaspoon of the filling in there. (This is what is seen in the first picture - sorry it's blurry again). Top with enough mixture to keep the filling completely covered, and repeat. I got four filled muffins out of this and two unfilled - they are equally nice both ways if you ask me. The finished product looks great and tastes brilliant - biting into the filled ones is a very nice surprise!

I was a bit disturbed when I discovered how much fat is in cornmeal but it's a bit late now - I suppose with the low fat soymilk it's not too bad.
This week I have had a 'non-teaching study break' from uni, whic has been really good - not only have I gotten stuck into a couple of assignments but I have had the opportunity to make something exciting for lunch every day! So next week I unfortunately won't be posting as many recipes as I have this week but I now have a couple of ideas for things I can take with me instead of a sandwich!
Thanks to everyone who has left comments, it is very appreciated!

2 Comments:

At 2:12 am, Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Wow, they look great! I love your idea to use corn in the filling. The photos are making me hungry!

 
At 12:56 am, Blogger Dori said...

These look fantastic!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home