Saturday, April 01, 2006


NAMs -
Nummy Absolutely Marvellous Nectarine Apple Muffins

Well, here is my muffin recipe for this week. I am extremely proud of it for a number of reasons - first and formost, it is the first muffin recipe I have completely made up from scratch! None of the things I make are ever that much like the recipe, however, I always actually have a recipe there, just for ideas. This time though, I totally made it up as I went. I'm also proud because these muffins are so unique - I have never hear of nectarine muffins before but I just thought "why not?" I actually got the idea when I saw a very unhealthy, unvegan Mango and White Chocolate muffin at a shop the other day - for about the past three weeks the fruit and veg shop has been selling over ripe mangoes rally cheap so I planned to get a couple on Thursday and just go from there. Unfortunately, the mango season is now over, so I got some really over ripe nectarines instead. Finally, I am proud because the muffins tunred out really yummt! Oh, and I'm pretty impressed with my photography skills!

I made half of this recipe with white flour because my mum can't digest a lot of fibre like that found in wholemeal flour, but the wholemeal ones are much nicer.

Ingredients:
-2 cups self raising wholemeal flour
-1 tsp baking soda
-2/3 cup brown sugar (or substitute)
-1 1/2 cup nectarine flesh
-1/2 cup plain, low fat soymilk
-equivalent to 1 1/2 eggs
-1/4 cup apple, chopped into small pieces
-flaked almonds

Instructions:
Begin by mixing all the dry ingredients in a large bowl and then make a well in the centre. Mash the nectarine flesh in another bowl and then mix in the soymilk and the 'eggs,' before adding to the dry ingredients. Mix until all the ingredients are combined then stir in the apple pieces. Spoon into silicone muffin pans and then top with flaked almond pieces (or not, to cut down on the fat - I just think they look sooo pretty!!). Bake at 180 degrees C (I think that's 350 F) for about 25 minutes or until they spring back when lightly pressed. Take out of the oven and enjoy!!

2 Comments:

At 1:54 am, Blogger Susan Voisin said...

These look delish! I can't find nectarines here, but I may have to try this with mangos (they're still available here). Thanks for a great idea.

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Let me know how they turn out with mango! I'll have the recipe ready next year when the season starts again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home