Sunday, March 26, 2006

Failed Faux Fish Cakes

Okay, I guess you should know that something is not going to be great when it is imitating something that isn't particularly great, but this recipe appealed to me because it had both tofu and brown rice. As a bonus, I never actually tasted fish cakes before going vegan so I didn't have any real expectations. I can't quite put my finger on what wan't that nice about them, they were just... less than nice. They look absolutely wonderful in the photo but unfortunately you can't see them because my parents went out last night and took the digital camera with them (when they didn't even have anything to take photots of!) so I had to take a picture with my disposable camera. So when the film gets developed I will scan in the photo but for now you will just have to imagine two nicely browned and very appetising-looking patties with a little salad. Although I don't recommend making them , here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
-60g firm tofu, mashed with a fork
-20g brown onion, finely diced
-slightly less than 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice
-1 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes**
-1/2 tbsp celery seed
-pinch salt
-about 3/4 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
-1 tsp lemon juice
-1/4 tsp dill tips
-1 tbsp rice flour
-1 tbsp wholemeal flour (more or less as needed)

Instructions:
Mix everything together in a bowl and then add wholemeal flour as needed to achieve a useable consistency. Try to shape into patties and try to put on a piece of aluminium foil under the grill (I say try because it is quite sloppy, but firms up nicely when cooked). Grill until browned then flip and grill until the other side is browned, then serve with a side of salad or veggies. You could also fry this but grilling is healthier and I don't see any reason not to.
I have been formulating an idea for dressing for the past few days but it turned out a big disaster and I was lucky that I tasted some before putting it on the salad - I think the problem was too much soy sauce, so when I come up with something better I'll let you know. My salad consisted of lettuce, tomato (organic), carrot (organic), red capsicum, corn (there it is again)and a couple of cashews, with rice malt syrup (a new discovery of mine) drizzled over the top. Yumm!

**Nutritional yeast is called Savoury Yeast Flakes here in Australia, so if you are looking for them and you can't find them, that could be why. As far as I know the only brand who makes them is Lotus, and they makes them in 100g and 200g bags.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home