Wednesday, March 22, 2006


Corn and Garbanzo Fritter

Hi there! Autumn has finally hit today with a cold change and a bit of rain but unlike some people my eating habits don't reflect the weather - for lunch today I had a little salad whereas yesterday (in the 37 degree heat) I had a hot lunch - a little corn and garbanzo fritter. Go figure?! But anyway, I'm going to post the (sort-of) recipe for the fritter, as seen in the picture - sorry it's a bit blurry. I served it with a little chopped up organic tomato which was sweet and delicious. The recipe is adapted from one in a cute little publication by The Sanitarium Corporation called 'The Sensational Soy Cookbook' but it no longer had any soy whatsoever. Here goes.


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup of self-raising flour (white or wholewheat)
  • 2-3 large tbsp tinned corn kernels
  • 1-2 tbsp tinned garbanzo beans
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp dukkah or cummin
  • 1 "egg" of egg replacer (ie powder and water)
  • pinch of cayenne pepper
  • plain low-fat (or regular) soymilk
Instructions:
Mix all the ingredients down to the egg and then add the soymilk, mixing until the batter is at a desired consistency. Pour into a non-stick frying pan and cook until the edges are browned and there are bubbles on the surface. When it is ready it will flip easily. Flip and cook on the other side until it is brown, then serve and enjoy!

5 Comments:

At 12:17 am, Blogger Susan Voisin said...

Hi Freedom--I saw your comment on my blog so I had to hop over here to check out yours. Looks great! I'm putting a link to you in my Vegan section so that others can find you too.

You asked if cornmeal is called polenta in Australia, but I'm just not sure. I've heard it called "corn flour" in some countries. Is that something that's available to you? Polenta is usually much coarser than corn meal.

Good luck with your blog! I'm looking forward to seeing more of your recipes.

 
At 2:16 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks Susan, hopefully my blog will get a few more visitors now. I used to think that cornflour was the same as cornmeal but after some rather disasterous muffins I discovered I was wrong. I think I'll try polenta and hope for the best.

 
At 11:13 pm, Blogger Harmonia said...

I am so loving your blog! Not only will I add you to the blog roll for midweek munchies I will add you to my sidebar of links! Great place! Hope to see you often!

 
At 1:21 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks very much Harmonia - I consider this very high praise from someone with such a successful blog of their own!

 
At 5:25 am, Blogger Harmonia said...

*blush*

Thanks for the compliment!

Hope your week has been a good one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home