Thursday, March 23, 2006


Midweek Munchies



Midweek Munchies: What Freedom is contributing for the week


Soymilk - low fat, calcium, B12 and iron enriched
Sultanas
Soy sauce - reduced salt
Marinated tofu cutlets - Japanese style
Bottled lemon juice (the lemons on our tree are yet to ripen)
Tinned pineapple slices
Tomato paste
Bottle of orange and mango juice
Tin of four bean mix - garbanzos, red kidney, great northern and cannellini
2 heads of broccoli
Button mushrooms

Oranges - juicing
Pink grapefruit - juicing
New season royal gala apples
Baby spinach

Yellow cornmeal - organic
Celery seed

The first group of things all came from Coles, the second lot from the greengrocers and the cornmeal and celery seed from a little health food shop. I will also be going to the organic fruit and veg shop on Saturday - it is a little one that is literally four minutes from our house walking. It has been open from 10 till 12 on saturday mornings to see whether it will be successful (the owner has a larger shop about 20 minutes away) and since the response has been so good it is soon going to be opening more and stocking more produce - something I'm very happy about, not only because it will increase shopping opportunities but also because I might be getting a job there!! YAY!
Anyway, let me explain my shopping situation to you further. I am only 17 and I do still live with my parents but since we moved house I have started doing my own shopping - mum gives me $50 a week to spend as I see fit and if I go over, it comes out of my own pocket. So far, however, I have been well under.
I don't like my shopping list much this week - it doesn't indicate how healthy and natural my products usually are, but next week is a Wholefoods Shop week, so that should be better. Here is the link if you're interested i knowing more about MM: http://harmonia.blogsome.com/

Now that I've given you my shopping list, I'll tell you what I had for lunch today. It was even colder than yesterday so I went "soup it is." Normally I am NOT a soup person but I was feeling creative and cold so I took inspiration from today's blog at The Vegan Lunchbox and made - Creamy Corn and Carrot Chowder. The quantity I made was so small that mum got very cross and told me I needed to eat more, so i have doubled it, but that still may not be enough for you.

Ingredients:
1 cup of water
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp nutritional yeast*
1 tbsp veggie stock powder
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp rosemary
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 tbsp tinned corn kernels
about 3tbsp sweet potato, chopped into cubes

Instructions:
Mix the water and tomato paste and bring to a gentle boil in a saucepan, then stir in the stock powder, nutritional yeast and herbs. Add the carrot and corn. Zap the sweet potato in a microwave for about 40 seconds (if you're rushed) or roast until it is a little soft. Add to the soup and simmer until it has thickened. Taste and add seasonings as necessary, then serve and enjoy!

By the way, the photo is of the cornmeal I bought - I am going to cook with it tomorrow so the recipe will be posted!

2 Comments:

At 6:03 am, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

hi! cool blog. i found you through harmonia -- and checked out your shopping list. wondering what are Sultanas?

 
At 3:05 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Thanks! I can't believe you don't know what sultanas are - it is amazing the differences in products between different countries. Sultanas are dried grapes - they're like raisins but a bit smaller, I think. Very common here in Australia and I love them!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home