Sunday, November 18, 2007

We Interrupt Your Regular Programming... Un-vegan-ness
Do you ever find yourself doing things that are really very un-vegan? Not, like chowing down on a steak or anything, just lifestyle things? I'm studying to get a veterinary degree. In 3 more years I will be a qualified vet, though I no longer intend to practice as a veterinarian, at least not as my major career. I'm going to get a job in animal rights or, if I can't find one, I'll start a non for profit organisation and create a job. Because that is my passion and what I want to do with my life. But I'm still going to get the degree, because I just know that (sad as it may be) people will pay more attention to me if I have some fancy letters after my name. If random hippie animal rights activist comes out and says something's cruel, who's going to listen? A whole bunch of other AR activists, sure, but what about the people who make the laws? But if a vet says something's cruel, well, it's got a bit more backing. So that's why I'm going to finish the course. Doesn't mean I'm going to enjoy it though. It just reminds me, day after day, about how hypocritical people are... they say they care about animals and want to help them, yet they eat them every single day! Huh???
At the moment I'm (trying to be) studying for my 'VET246 - Animals and Society' exams. In the theory exam we have to identify animal breeds and what they're used for. Look at these cuties:

these are Damara sheep, a meat breed. How could anyone eat anything so adorable!?!
And what about this big fluffy sweetheart, a Drysdale sheep that is 'dual purpose' (ie for meat and wool).

I just don't get it!

Oh and don't get me started on what we have to do in our practical exam - taking blood for an un-sedated 500kg cow, anyone?
SOrry about that little rant there, I really needed to get it out!

3 Comments:

At 6:54 am, Blogger Suzanne MacNeil said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's so sad how our elitist society places so much credibility on letters and a piece of paper, but sometimes it's such a huge boost to NOT have people judge you negatively before you've had a chance to speak. I dearly want to see society recognize that expertise does not just exist in bought-and-paid-for credentials, and to see the so-called "experts" learn a thing about compassion! I think that whatever path you take you'll be well positioned to teach everyone both these things, Freedom, and I deeply respect the decisions you're carrying out. best of luck!

 
At 12:12 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Animals are fun, yaya

 

Post a Comment

<< Home