Sunday, February 18, 2007

Blissing out on DURIAN!!

href="http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_DLmCPVC-zoI/RdenBFlEDXI/AAAAAAAAALQ/ERgDgCcGyiA/s1600-h/blissondurian.JPG">

Okay in order to get that little play on words, it is necessary to know that the lovely rat in the picture, with whom I am lucky enough to share a home, is named Bliss. So it is both Bliss literally sitting on a durian, and at the same time she (and I) were absolutely blissing out on the divine taste and amazing nutrition and energy supplied by THE BEST durian I have ever eaten. Oh it was so incredibly good!! And I always feel like I'm walking on clouds when I finish them, my feet are so light - I completed a walk which normally takes me about 34 minutes in only 31, which doesn't sound like that big a deal, but in that time I also stopped to raid a fig tree and take a fallen mango!

Bliss, being the stunning and intelligent raw vegan rat that she is, also appreciates the delicious delicacy that is durian, and eagerly gobbled down the little bits I could bring myself to share with her.

I actually bought two durians, planning to have most of them earlier in the day and then finish off in the evening. The one I ate first was the incredibly amazing one (I ate it first cos I could tell it was going to be great!) - it was really green, meaning it was quite fresh, had an even stronger odour than usual, and had soft, squishy, custardy, increidble flesh. Oh goodness, writing about it makes me want another one right now!! Anyway, I ate all of that and a little of the other one in the afternoon then came back to finish it off later... unfortunately the last few pods were not very nice at all - kinda dry and hard, not soft and custardy like they should be. I put it in my blender with some mange and a medjool date and that was yummy though, so it wasn't wasted.

Okay, I am going back to university tomorrow so I have a few things to do today to get ready. Have a great day!

10 Comments:

At 1:21 pm, Blogger urban vegan said...

I see durians on all the smoothie menus in Chinatown but have never had one...I'll have to try that fruit next time.

Bliss is such a little cutie--and is so lucky to have you to have you as her rat mama. She looks well loved and cared for.

 
At 9:40 pm, Blogger Jennie said...

Hey Freedom, I was growing some sunflower sprouts in the backyard on trays and when I went to harvest one morning, some had been uprooted! I wanted to see what was touching them before I did and when I went out that night there was a rat right in the middle of the tray. I put all the trays together and let it go for it! There was no way I was touching them after a wild rat had been there. When he had finished them all I threw the rest out. I'm now ready to begin again but I'll bring them in at night!!! Bliss is so cute.

xoxo

 
At 7:24 am, Blogger Kati said...

Your rat looks so soft and sweet! And it sounds like she eats better than most humans! I've wanted to try durian for a long time now - I've heard nothing but raves about it. I'll have to seek a place out to buy one, but it's not as easy to come by in chilly Chicago.

 
At 11:58 am, Blogger bazu said...

Little Bliss is one of the cutest rats I've ever seen! and she does look like she's grooving on the durian!

 
At 12:06 pm, Blogger bazu said...

P.S. oh and can I just add that I'm SO jealous of how you just come accross random fruit trees? I wish I lived somewhere where fruits were so plentiful. Wow!

 
At 1:37 pm, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a durian - I don't think I've ever eaten, heard of, or seen one! I'm feeling quite deprived right now.

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger KleoPatra said...

SO CUTE!!!

 
At 3:45 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey UV, you SOO have to try durian. I'll warn you though - number one, they have a very strong smell. Number two, it is not unusual to get bad ones from chinese supermarkets etc. Number three, an awful lot of people don't like them the first time they try them. I did though! Don't be deterred, they are so worth it!

Hi Jen, that's a funny story about your little sprout-thief. Bliss likes sprouts and the two of us often share the same piece of fruit but I can't say as I would want to share with a wild rat.

Hey Kati, Bliss is the softest rat I've ever felt, but I think that is probably influenced by her diet. It saddens me that so many people eat junk, not to mention the millions of people who can't afford even that, but it makes me happy to see bliss eat so well. As far as I know frozen durians are shipped to most of America from Thailand, just like they are to here in Aus.

Thanks Bazu, I think Bliss is one of the two cutest rats i've ever met (the other being my dear departed Spirit). Yes, I love the fruit trees - but it's funny, I don't live in the country or anything - I thought when we moved here from the country (so I could attend university) my free-fruit days would be over but I was so wrong. If you look you find things you totally wouldn't imagine - I live only 9kilometres from the heart of Perth, West Australia's capital city, but I have access to free mangoes, grapes, figs, olives, oranges, lemons, komquats, mulberries, loquats and maybe more I'm forgetting!

Vicki, check out freezers in chinese supermarkets - you know what you're looking for now!

Yay, kleo, you're back! Great to see you. And yes, she is cute :-)

 
At 6:41 pm, Blogger Taelia said...

That is the cutest picture. She's a blue rat right?

My daughter once had a hooded rat, her name was April and she was the sweetest smartest lil rattie.

She never got to sample durian, but I'm sure she would of loved it. I kinda like it now too.

 
At 9:21 am, Blogger Daniel Joseph Sardella said...

I was thinking about getting a rat from a local animal shelter this week and I was curious what you feed yours since you said she is raw. I myself am a vegan, but not raw. Take care.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home