Monday, January 08, 2007

Revisiting Juliano



I may be on a Shazzie recipe quest (see here) but that doesn't stop me dipping into Juliano's RAW: The UNCookBook every now and then. I had a bit of a camera mix up so I can't show you what I made (which is a pity cos it was very tasty) But I can tell you about how amazing it was! This is right back 'in the pocket,' Juliano's amazing culinary talent coming through once again.
I'll just point out that I honestly don't believe I have ever made a recipe by myself without changing it at least a bit, even if it is just halving it (although it is usually much more). This recipe was called Durian, Mango, Mulberry, Maple Syrup (or Date) Avo Mousse. So it's kinda an ingredient list in a title, lol. But the durian is optional and I left it out because the only way to eat a durian is by itself as a meal, or maybe in a smoothie (but only using once or two pods that you force yourself to save when you're eating the rest of the durian). The mango is supposed to be frozen ahead of time but I didn't bother with that. And maple syrup is NOT raw so I went the date option there. Oh and I didn't actually measure anything, just threw it all in. The reason I have really been wanting to try this recipe is that I have an ENORMOUS mulberry tree hanging over my back fence from my neighbour's garden, conveniently located directly above the shed and it was COVERED in fruit. Sadly, between me and the stunning rainbow lorikeets, very little now remains. Anyway, although the fruit is delicious as it is straight from the tree, this was the only recipe I've ever seen calling for mulberries, so how could I resist?
The 'mousse' tasted a LOT like mixed berry yoghurt, only a whole lot better! I have a grandma who really needs to lose weight and is always trying to improve her diet, she looooves really creamy fatty dairy yoghurt but I'm going to stay with her soon, I will whip some of this up for her, maybe she'll never eat yoghurt again? One can but dream...
I ate this spread on pak choi leaves, it was absolutely beautiful. I'd better stop, I could rave about this all day! Lol.

Pictured above is one of three Shazzie recipes I made over the weekend, but the only one I took a picture of because the other two were eaten straight from my blender! It is Cream of Orange Soup and was super duper simple - blend orange juice, lemon zest and avocado, and you're done! I sprinkled a little orange zest on top too, for presentation reasons. It was really yummy, kind of interesting because one mouthful tasted more orangey, then the next was creamy/avocado-ey and so on.

At the organic farmers market on saturday morning I was very excited to pick up an aloe vera plant, and so I absolutely HAD to make Shazzie's Aloe Super Mousse from Detox Your World. I wanted to serve it nicely and take a pretty picture but then my parents and I decided to go out and have lunch together on the riverfront so I just took the blender attachment full of mousse and a spoon - who says raw food isn't quick? Here is a photo of me and my mum on a jetty



and here is me and dad on the grassy river bank.



Oh and by the way the Mousse was very tasty, I don't know if I could actually taste the aloe vera or if it just sorta contributed to the overall flavour but I'm not really bothered either way, since it was super yummy.
The last Shazzie recipe I made was the Quick Choccie Thickshake. It was a bit heavier than what i've been eating a lot lately but I halved the recipe and only had a little bit, it was delicious but anymore would have been too much. I drank this striaght from the blender, so sorry but no photo.

Wow that was long! Have a great day!

10 Comments:

At 8:10 am, Blogger Dori said...

I can't see the pictures you mention. :(

Any recipes on your blog about sprouted lentil sandwich spread?

 
At 8:42 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Sorry Dori, pictures have been being really weird on my blog/computer yesterday - I can see them though. I'll see what I can do.
On my other blog I have a recipe for raw hummus using sprouted chickpeas, it's really yummy!

 
At 9:06 am, Blogger urban vegan said...

I've been looking at all those books. As you say, my first raw-venture turned out to be a tasty and fun one. I find your blog very inspiring!

 
At 12:01 pm, Blogger Sascha said...

Hi,

I live in Perth too but have just moved here. Could you tell me where you get raw peanut paste, almond paste and tahini from.

Also could you tell me about any organic growers markets where you can buy large quantities of fruit and veg.

I really appreciate any info and I love your blog!

All the best,

Sascha

http://naturalhealingcenter.com

 
At 9:49 am, Blogger Michelle said...

i still want to add in one fully raw day a week.. what Uncook book do you recommend? there are so many out there, but if i had one, it would make meal planning for that day easier.

 
At 3:56 pm, Blogger Candi said...

Aww, I can't see the photos either, but it all sure sounds great!! I love your foods so much.

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger Jody from VegChic said...

Hey freedom,

Thanks for stopping by. The recipes you make always look and sound so delicious.

A long time ago, I tried a raw restaurant that is about an hour from my house and really enjoyed the food. Your blog has been an inspiration for me and has prompted me look at raw recipes online as well as pick up some cookbooks.

This year I'm definitely planning to make more raw recipes and I'll be visiting you often!

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Thank you UV, it is an amazing thing to be told you're inspiring. I'm always inspired by your photography!

Hi Sascha, wow, another person in Perth!! That's so cool! For Organic growers markets you can't beat city farm. There are merkets held there every saturday from 8am - 12 noon. This is their website: http://www.cityfarmperth.org.au/new_lite/about.html

Peanut paste I don't think occurs in a raw form but almond butter and tahini can both be purchased at Alive Organics, located on Drynan St in Bayswater.
Also I strongly advise you check out http://www.raw-pleasure.com.au/ if you;re into raw. Oh and we're having a raw picnic in Kings Park on February 11th, you're more than welcome to join us! Please stop by again!

Michelle you're right, there are sooo many uncookbooks. I really love Shazzie's books for simplicity and deliciousness, you have to order them from the UK but I think it's worth it!

Sorry Candi, I don't know what's going on - I could see them fine when I posted them but now I can't see them either. Weird. :-(

Jody I'm so glad I inspired you too, anything you want to know just ask!

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger Harmonia said...

I can't see the pics either...sound interesting tho.

I just posted about Hearty Sprouted Lentil Soup (it's raw)

 
At 1:47 pm, Blogger Cherry said...

I can't see the pictures! Anyway, where do you buy durian? I've never seen one, other than in pictures. I have a mulberry tree in my yard too! Unfortunately, I'll have to wait about 5 months for any fruit on it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home