Monday, November 27, 2006

Join the RAWvolution!



Huge excitement in my house last week - I got my hands on a copy of RAWvolution by Matt Amsden! I have seen a few bloggers using this book recently - first it was over at What the hell does a vegan eat anyway?, which I didn't mind so much cos they seem to have the best of everything, lol! But then I got very annoyed when I saw it at Candi's Blog. I wasn't annoyed at Candi, not at all (especially since I think it's great to see more people getting into raw) - I was annoyed at my whole stupid country! In her post Cadni said "while I was in the vegan section [of the bookstore] I saw this book and had to have it." American bookstores have VEGAN SECTIONS! Over here in Aus you're lucky to find a single vegan cookbook lurking among copies of 'Women's Weekly Vegetarian' and other veggie books full of dairy. Buying a raw uncookbook is simply not a possibility - the only way I could get one would be ordering in.
But anyway, several months ago I saw that my university library had plans to maybe get it in so I put it on Advance Order just in case and last week, lo and behold, I got an e-mail saying it had come in! AHHH!

It truly is a stunning book - very reminiscint of Juliano's RAW, which we all know I love ;-) It is very gourmet, which I'm into less and less, but it tends to be much better food combining-wise than RAW is. Some of the things look incredible and I certainly think they are great for converting non-raw foodists who think we all live on fruit and veggies (okay so I kinda do, but only because i WANT to - I can eat as gourmet as anyone else if I feel like it!)

So on Saturday night I made my first dish from RAWvolution - Thick n Thin Sprouted Lentil Chilli. Before I start on the actual dish, let me have a little gripe regarding the name. I like dishes with interesting names - if you call something lettuce tomato corn and dulse salad with an avocado lemon juice dressing sprinkled with cumin, not only is it incredibly hard to say but it is darn boring!! So I like the thick n thin part of the name. Also, it is an accurate description because if you let it stand two distinct layers separated out, one thick and one thin (and both tasty!) And the chilli part is accurate (even if I did leave out the chilli powder because I felt that the heat would overpower the delicious other flavours). But it's the Sprouted Lentil part I have a problem with. There are no sprouted lentils in the dish - they appear as an 'optional garnish.' They aren't even used as the garnish in the photo in the book! I love sprouts so I used them as my garnish, although I used mung beans not lentils, and they were really nice when stirred through - little crispy morsels amongst the soup. My other problem is that in the picture there is a big glob of something that looks like (raw) sour cream, but there is no sour cream recipe anywhere in the book! There is a recipe in Juliano's book that I would have liked to use but that requires a number of hours of fermentation and I wasn't planned that far in advance. Luckily, I made Juliano's Almond Flower Cheese last week (pictured below), which requires fermentation and produces whey. So I made up my own sour cream recipe using cashews, lemon juice and whey from making cheese and it was really yummy and a great addition to the chilli. Which, by the way, was very good! Certainly a very delicious introduction to the book.So if you can get your hands on RAWvolution, I highly recommend you do! Have a great day!

18 Comments:

At 6:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

omg you are so awesome, we need to hang out and make raw dishes, we can save money because we will actually eat the food too!! lol. I am at a weird point in my life, eating alot of cacao, makes me horny, I am embarrassed you have to read all that on my blog, I am embarrassed, I am a normal girl usually!!

 
At 12:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a beautifull food and i love the bowl too. thanks for share the photos! you have a great blog.

 
At 8:54 am, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey Suvine, it woul be great to hang out but I don't know about that saving us money, since I live in Australia and you in the US, lol! Anything saved would be spent on plane tickets! I have to admit I found it a little... weird, reading all that on your blog cos I'm only 18 and well... I'm still a virgin, never been in a relationship. But that's cool, that's where you're at now!

Thanks Johanna, I love that bowl too... it only cost me 50 cents (sorry, I don't know what that is in your currency!) at a second hand shop. I collect interesting crockery! You have a great blog too!

 
At 3:09 pm, Blogger Candi said...

Yummy! I'm so glad you have the book! I was mesmerized by the photos! So beautiful.

Sorry that you don't have a vegan/veggie/or raw food section in your bookstores!!! :( I'm happy you can get them online though! :)

 
At 2:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freedom:
we here in Puerto Rico use the american currency the dollar(we are a USa possesion). i will love to have second hand shop here, that for sure :)

 
At 8:57 am, Blogger urban vegan said...

I have this book--just haven't made anything from it yet. I wish I had a dehydrator.

 
At 9:31 am, Blogger Freedom said...

UV there are LOTS of recipes in this book that don't require a dehydrator. Before I got mine I was desperate for one and kept thinking "how can I go raw without it" but now I love to eat food fresh and beautiful, exactly as nature intended. I still love dehydrated treats, don't get me wrong :-) but it is not a necessity. Don't let your lack of dehydrator prevent you cracking open RAWvolution and trying a non-dehydrator recipe!

 
At 8:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

great read. I would love to follow you on twitter.

 
At 5:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good blog friends! Post your article which is also useful for readers and to share information or experiences you have. I will visit your blog again. male enhancement - i love you full http://www.male-sexual.com

 
At 1:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Free information about penis enlargement products, how it works, price of products, top products, and review of penis products. Visit http://www.buypenisenlargement.com
- male enhancement pills - http://www.male-sexual.com

 
At 9:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well your article helped me terribly much in my college assignment. Hats incorrect to you dispatch, choice look ahead in the direction of more cognate articles promptly as its one of my choice subject-matter to read.

 
At 4:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

 
At 9:51 am, Anonymous Smith of Male Enhancement said...

Excellent share you maid. I like the stuff you offer. This is something I really like to taste it...

 
At 10:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It interrupts the electrical signals from the nerves in the skeletal muscles to the brain preventing the brain from registering pain. Muscular strains and sprains can be an extremely painful experience for any one that suffers from such an injury. http://copybase.org/ - carisoprodol 350 mg Soma provides relief from the pain but does not actually aid in healing the underlying condition, so it is usually part of a combined medical treatment that includes physical therapy, massage, and other methods to relax the muscles. Soma provides relief from the pain but does not actually aid in healing the underlying condition, so it is usually part of a combined medical treatment that includes physical therapy, massage, and other methods to relax the muscles. These side effects are all very minor and are outweighed by the benefits that Soma can provide for those suffering from muscular injuries.

 
At 7:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am truly pleasеd tο glance at thіѕ web
ѕitе posts which consіsts of tons of
useful data, thanks for prοvіding theѕe κindѕ оf data.


Also vіsit my ωeb pаge: hcg drops

 
At 1:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I juѕt liκe the helρful info you
supply to youг articles. I will booκmarκ
уour ωeblog anԁ check again right here frequently.
I'm rather certain I'll be informeԁ manу new stuff proper here!
Beѕt of luсk for the next!

Му web site; green coffee bean extract

 
At 5:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for another grеat poѕt. Wheгe else mаy anybody gеt that type οf info in
suсh a perfect manner of writіng? I've a presentation subsequent week, and I am at the look for such info.

Here is my web blog green coffee extract wiki

 
At 1:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wаy сool! Somе еxtremely ѵalid
рoints! I apprecіаte you wгiting this article pluѕ the rest оf thе sitе
іs alѕo vегy good.

my ωebsіte pure green coffee extract

 

Post a Comment

<< Home