Thursday, May 18, 2006

Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme
A Veg*n Meme

What wonderful foods did you bring home from the grocery store?

Midweek Munchies: What Freedom is contributing for the week



Oh how I love wholefood shops! I left a great one behind when I moved here from South Australia three months (has it already been that long?) ago, but have discovered two new ones. I just adore buying in bulk because I only ever want to buy tiny quantites of things and I hate having 3/4 of a packet of something sitting in the cupboard with no use for it. So this is what I picked up in bulk on Monday:

-peanut paste, squeezed by me (minus salt, sugar and all the other additives!) this may be organic but I'm not sure
-quinoa ($12.00 a kilo!!! YAY! for bulk)
-chili powder (look out for this!)
-dukkah (possibly my favourite spice ever)

Before going to my normal supermarket today I also took a walk to the Asian Supermarket, which is another great place to get things cheap:

-fried tofu
-rice wine vinegar (yay, I've been looking for this for AGES)
-miso (95cents! Can you believe that price?)

Then I went to the actual supermarket and got most of my munchies:

-tin of diced tomatoes (organic)
-tinned chickpeas
-tinned red kidney beans
-bottled orange and mango juice
-soymilk (low fat, iron, calcium and B12 enriched)
-tinned apricot halves in juice
-cornflour
-sugar free marmalade
-wholemeal oval pitas (quite small but not quite mini pitas)
-dried oregano
-dried mango pieces
-gnocchi
-9 grain muffins
-powdered vegetable stock (a new brand, as my normal one has decided to start using milk powder)

Finally, after the supermarket, I went to the fruit and veg shop for a very quick grab of:

-apples
-spinach

And in case that's not enough shops for you, I will be going to the organic shop on Saturday (as usual) and probably getting:

-kale
-carrots
-sweet potato
-onion
-ginger
-lettuce
-tomatoes
(all organic - it's an organic shop, after all.)

Well, that's finally it! I have a few recipes planned for the coming days, so check back! Have a good day everyone!



Links to other Midweek Munchies
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
Technorati Tag:

A special thanks to Running2Ks and Rift for all of their help with coding, graphics, and encouragement for this project.

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required. Have fun and Go Veg!

2 Comments:

At 10:07 pm, Blogger Flo @ Yielded Heart said...

Looks like we've both been shopping multiple stores.
Great list you have here.

 
At 5:49 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

The more shops you go to the better! I imagines it could get a bit tough taking kids from shop to shop though... although your girls certianly seem to be enjoying their shopping trip!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home