Friday, April 14, 2006

Midweek Munchies, A Celebration, Last Night's Dinner oh and Happy Easter!
In case you can't tell, I've been busy! There was something else I was going to post but I think that would just be going overboard, so I'll do it tomorrow. Okay, lets do this in order - Midweek Munchies First.
Harmonias Midweek Munchies Meme

Midweek Munchies: What Freedom is contributing for the week



-tinned peaches in juice
-tinned pineapple in syrup
-extra-firm tofu
-soy yoghurt
-bottled orange and mango juice
-salt-reduced soy sauce
-sultanas
-garlic granules
-apples
-spinach
-cauliflower
-oranges (for juicing)
-pink grapefruit (for juicing)

-tomatoes
-carrots
-maybe kale
-red and green capsicum
-brown onion
-broccoli
-wholewheat fettucine

-cocoa powder
-carob chips

Okay, the first lot of things is from the supermarket, the second lot is what I will be getting at the organic market tomorrow and the last two things are for mum and dad's Easter presents - more on that tomorrow!

Links to other Midweek Munchies
(If you participate, leave your link in the comments and I'll post it below; or, you can post in the comments)

Click here for the Midweek Munchies code
Click here for Harmonia's blog

Trackbacks, pings, and comment links are accepted and encouraged!
Technorati Tag:

A special thanks to Running2Ks and Rift for all of their help with coding, graphics, and encouragement for this project.

PURPOSE of Midweek Munchies: Put together by a small group of Veg Women, we hope to spread the word about healthy vegetarianism while obtaining idea starters for meals, recipes, learn about new products, and meet other female veg*n bloggers. Visiting and commenting on other participants lists are encouraged but not required. Have fun and Go Veg!




Okay, now on to the celebration... I have been vegan for two years today! YAY! I turned vegan age 15 after reading 'Save the Animals: 101 Ways you can Help' written by legends Peter Singer, Ingrid Newkirk and Barbara Dover. I highly recommend it! I honestly can't believe it has been two years since the day I told mum I wanted to become a vegan. WoW. Time flies!

Now, onto last night's dinner - sorry about the picture, I thought it was going to come out really well but I was quite mistaken! Thursday is the one night of the week when I eat something straight from a packet - I'm not into all those colours, flavours preservatives and assorted other rubbish but these marinated tofu cutlets aren't too bad and they taste great! ALthough they are the single most fattening things I eat, at 4.5g of fat each, so I'm thinking of looking for another option. Basically I take them out of the packet and stick them under the grill, flip when brown and wahla, they're done. But while they are cooking I make a little stir fry, and some organic wholemeal couscous. Stir fries are easy but everyone has their own style - I stick some broccoli and carrots in about two centimetres (that's nearly an inch) of water in the bottom of a non stick pan so they get kind of softened before the frying begins, then I add red and green capsicum, onion, mushrooms (button or field) and some tinned pineapple (I love this stuff!) and a handfull of spinach just before serving. I dump all of this on the couscous and top with the tofu cutlets - yummy!

Now last of all, Happy Easter to everyone out there in blog land. Easter is going to be a bit sad this year - it is normally a nice opportunity to get together with the extended family (an defend my eating choices - not so fun) but this year, being a few thousand kilometres away on the other side of the country, that won't be happening. Just a quiet easter for us I guess. However you spend your Easter I hope you enjoy it! And I also feel that it's necessary to apologise to any Christians - I often feel bad for celebrating easter and christmas even though I'm a devout athiest, but that's our modern society for you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home