Sunday, April 30, 2006

Fancy Balsamic Eggplant etc Sandwich
Since starting university I have discovered the wonders of having more for lunch than just a salad sandwich - I only take lunch with me twice a week now and even on those days I take salad or sushi or ocassionaly something else. Yesterday, I decided to go back to the land of the sandwich, but with a little more flair than I used to use. So I prodcued the delectable and attractive creation you see in the picture (okay, so, it's not that special, but it was yummy). If you're interested, I only made the half sandwich you see in the picture - I couldn't fit in a whole one like this!













Ingredients:

-1 piece of wholemeal grain bread
-1 largish field mushroom or portobello
-1 chunk of eggplant that will fit on your bread
-baby spinach
-1 piece of pre-marinated garlic flavoured tofu
-1 tsp powdered veggie stock
-1/2 to 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
-3 or 4 tbsp boiling water

Instructions:
Mix the water, vinegar and veggie powder together. Place the eggplant (a half moon shaped slice about 1cm thick) in a non-stick frying pan and then pour half of the vinegar mixture over it and fry over medium heat until mostly soft. While it's frying, place the tofu under the griller/broiler. When the eggplant is soft and the liqud is gone, place the mushrom (slice it in two bits) in the frying pan and add the rest of the liquid. Place the bread under the griller until it is ever so slightly crisp (not brown!) and then take out and cut into two triangles. Put some fresh baby spinach leaves on one bread triangle and when the lquid is all boiled away and the eggplant and mushroom are soft, place them on the spinach and top with the browned tofu. Put the oterh bread triangle on top and voila! Eat up and enjoy.

(Sorry, I know these are very complicated instructions for making a sandwich but I really enjoyed this sandwich so I got a bit carried away!)

4 Comments:

At 11:29 pm, Blogger Susan Voisin said...

That looks and sounds REALLY GOOD!

 
At 6:00 am, Blogger Dori said...

I was going in for the bite and my nose hit the screen (lol) ... great looking sandwich.

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Susan - In case you can't tell, I thought it was good! But you deserve some recognition here, as it was Fettucine No-fredo recipe which gave me the idea for frying the mushrooms and eggplant in the stock and vinegar.

Dori - we have movies and sound over the internet, it's about time someone invented virtual tasting!

Jeni - thanks for the compliment and I will definately visit your blog.

 
At 10:10 pm, Blogger t. said...

I tried this recipe today, but I had no tofu or spinach. And I discovered to have no balsamic vinegar either! So i used cider. Yours looks so delicious: mine came out really bad! i will have to try it again, this time with the right ingredients!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home