Monday, April 24, 2006


BCMs - Boring, Crummy, Mundane Banana Carrot Muffins

In case you didn't figure this out, I was unimpressed by these muffins. Okay, so, they weren't quite as bad as all that, but I don't really recommend them. I actually didn't want to make them that much but I'm going through a process at the moment - I have a recipe folder full of recipes I've printed off the internet and after I make them I rate them out of five, list any changes I made or would make in the future, and write a comment. It is very useful but I have a number of recipes that I downloaded a while ago that no longer suit my style/tastes. You would think I would just recycle them, but that is not me - I want to have a rating and comment for every recipe in the folder! So, this is recipe that I printed off AGES ago and just had to make so that I could give it the required info. I gave it 3 stars. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to publish the recipe!:

Ingredients:
-1/3 cup rolled oats, ground in a dry food processor until a bit less chunky
-1 cup wholewheat self raising flour
-1/4 tsp ginger powder
-1/8 tsp cloves
-1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-3/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast (NOT bakers yeast or brewer's yeast!)
-4 tbsp vegan brown sugar
-2.5 ounces firm tofu
-1/4 cup plus about 2 tbsp orange juice
-equivelant to half an egg
-1 smallish ripe banana, mashed but with some chunks left
-1/4 to 1/2 cup grated carrot

Instructions:
Place all the ingredients up to and including the baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine. Chop the tofu in a food processor until quite finely minced/mashed up then add in the sugar, nutritional yeast, egg equivelant and orange juice and process until well mix. Pour this mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until they are all moist, then fold in the banana and carrot. Bake at about 190C for 20-25 mins, checking for brownness.


The problem with these is their consistency - even with the baking soda, baking powder and egg replacer they barely rose up at all and this is not a problem I usually have. When they first come out of the oven, the middle is really squooshy (is that a word?) and this changes as they cool, but they are still a bit too dense in my opinion.

However, they have reminded me of how yummy banana is in muffins, so I'm going to play around a bit with this fairly soon! Below is a picture of Asante Sana (Sana for short), the most beautiful cat in the world (although this is in close competition with Wonka, who sadly passed away about 18 months ago). Sana came home with me after my week's work experience with the RSPCA - no one knows quite how old she is, but the best guess is VERY! What we do know is that she was dumped in a cardboard box in a pretty bad state - the pads of her feet were cut and bruised, her nose was scarred and she was tiny and thin. Also, for some reason, her ears are completely bald. She is now healthy, friendly and a lot bigger (mainly just closer to the ground in the tummy region!) Oh, and her most endearing feature (well, the one that won me over)? She drools. Like, a lot. Whenever she is contented/relaxed, it starts like a tap. She sleeps in my bed, right beside my face, and I often wake up beside a large wet patch.

This was inspired by Leslie's recent post at Eat Peace Please - I told you she was a dog in a cat's body too (what kind of self-respecting cat drools?)!

NOTE: Okay, computer issues mean the Sana photo will come later. Keep checking back!

2 Comments:

At 9:10 pm, Blogger Dori said...

These are the most boring mundane muffins I have ever seem in my life. You have not made a sale here as far as me trying out this recipe, but I have given your blog entry a big smile. Sometimes, it's just as much of a victory to discover what we do like as it is to discover what we like.

 
At 9:20 pm, Blogger Dori said...

If you want a bit of food science thought concerning your muffins, I'll offer this...

You have oats and whole wheat flour... a pretty heavy combo that will not allow your muffin to rise much... if you must have that combo add a splash of fruit juice and the acid in it will enhance the baking soda to give a tad more rise.

Also the combo of your oats and large amount of banana will give that "squishy" center you describe.

Poor muffins can be crumbled onto an oven pan and baked dry in a low temperature oven (like for croutons) until crispy, makes an okay breakfast cereal for a day with some sliced fruit and soymilk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home