Tuesday, April 25, 2006


Rice Vermicelli with Ginger Lime Sauce
Wow I'm so behind in my posting - it's now Tuesday and this is what I had for dinner on SATURDAY! But never mind. I sort of made this up as I went and ended up with a bit too much lime juice in the sauce but it was still really yummy. You should definately try rice vermicelli if you haven't - they're a thin asian noodle made of rice (duh) which cook in about 3-5 minutes. I was shocked to find them at my normal supermarket but you may need to go to an asian supermarket.

Ingredients:
-rice vermicelli or cellophane noodles
-stir fry veggies. I used onion, red and green capsicum, broccoli, cauliflower, carrot, spinach, mushrooms and sweet potato
-extra firm tofu

-2 tbsp fresh lime juice
-2 tsp grated fresh ginger
-1 to 2 tsp tahini
-3 tbsp water
-2 tbsp soy sauce
-sugar as needed

Instructions:
Place some water into a non-stick frying pan so that it is about 2-3cm (about 1 inch) deep and then put in your longer-cooking veggies (broccoli, carrot, cauliflower, sweet potato). Cook this over high heat until the water is almost all boiled away (this is a personal technique - I find it allows the veggies to be a bit softer than traditional stir fries, but this means they retain more flavour and nutrients). Then add the capsicum, onion, mushrooms and tofu (depending on how you like your tofu, you may want to grill or bake it first, as it is not very thoroughly browned when cooked in this way). While this is frying, place the noodles in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Leave for 3-5 minutes or until they achieve the desired texture, then drain. To make the sauce, simply combine all ingredients and mix well. Place the noodles in the frying pan and fry briefly, then pour in the sauce and stir until it boils away, making sure all ingredients get a good coating. Just before it's done, add the baby spinach. Serve and enjoy!

Just a not regarding the Banana Carrot Muffins - I think I was a little harsh yesterday. They are really quite nice and improve with age (as long as you store them in the fridge and microwave before eating).

2 Comments:

At 9:12 pm, Blogger Dori said...

I have tried a recipe called singapore rice vermicelli before. Your recipe loks alot like that, I liked it and your plate is a nice presentation of this dish.

 
At 3:52 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hey Dori, thanks, I thought it looked really nice as well, actually. I'm definately improving my photography skills, but a compliment is always nice!
Thanks also for your tips regarding the muffins - as I said, I didn't really want to make them that much anyway, but it is interesting to know how I could have made them better, especially from someone so experienced in baking!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home