Saturday, April 29, 2006


DMMs - Divine, Mouthwatering, Marvellous Date Molasses Muffins

Well, I have come back in fine form after last week's muffin disaster! I don't like to sound boastful but I am truly amazed at how much my cooking skills have improved. Not my actual cooking skills, but my ability to create - I always used to wonder "how on Earth does anyone invent a recipe? Where do they get their initial idea?" But now I know that the more time you spend in the kitchen the more you learn about what foods go well together. The more recipes you read, the more you can grasp how long something will take to cook or what quantity it will make. You see other recipes and get some inspiration - that is possibly the best thing about blogging.
Anyway, I came up with an nice, Autumn-ey sounding recipe title that I wanted to put to the test but then I found out about Blackstrap Molasses and so that recipe has been put off temporarily (be on the lookout though!) Blackstrap molasses is high in iron and calcium and fat free - those are the two nutrients I am really trying to incorporate more of into my diet, so how could I resist? And, to top it all off, I found a jar on special at my regular supermarket! So, with basically no idea what I was doing, I created these mind blowingly tasty, fat free, nutritious muffins. And, to make things even better, they rose up beautifully (I love really high muffins!) So here goes:

Ingredients:
-1 3/4 cups self raising wholemeal flour
-3/4 tsp baking powder
-1 or 2 tbsp vegan brown sugar
-1/2 cup low fat soymilk
-1/4 cup water plus a bit extra (can use all water or all soymilk)
-2 or 3 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
-3 tbsp blackstrap molasses
-equivelant of one egg (Ener-G egg or similar)
-about 1/3 cup chopped dates
-2 tsp vanilla essence

Instructions:
Before you start, make up the egg replacer (I find its best to let it sit for about 10 minutes) and preheat the oven to 180C (I think thats 350F).
In a large bowl combine the flour, baking powder and sugar and make a well in the centre. In another bowl mix the soymilk/water, applesauce, molasses, vanilla and your egg replacer until well combined, then pour into the dry ingredients. Mix them together, the mixture may be a little dry so add more water/soymilk as necessary. Then stir through the dates and bake in a silicone muffin pan for 25-30 mins. Get them out of the muffin pans as soon as you can without burning all the skin off your fingers and devour, delighting in their yumminess!

By the way, this makes about 7 medium muffins (depends on how big your muffin pans are and how much mixture you eat before they go in the oven!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home