Saturday, June 21, 2008

An ode to a fruit that I love...



... PERSIMMONS!! And as you may have guessed from my previous post, I like a certain type of persimmon, the type that not many other people like. I like astringent persimmons. Sweet persimmons, also called fuyu fruit (I think) are eaten crisp, almost like an apple. To me, they have very little flavour and the texture does not delight. But astringent persimmons...woah. I actually only discovered this joyous fruit last year - i've been missing out for 18 years! - but I plan to make up for that in years to come!
Many people are put off by astringent persimmons because at some point they have tried one that wasn't ripe, which is certainly not a pleasant experience. When eatne under-ripe, they leave the inside of your mouth feeling furry and gross. A truly ripe astringent persimmon is really really squishy and the skin should split if you squeeze it. The inside has a texture very much like jam - the way I eat them is to pull out the flower-like leaf at the top then split the fruit in half and slurp the insides out messily. Yum.

This post is the beginning of my attempt at blogging much more regularly. I think the main reason that I don't post is because I like all my posts to have (good) photos, but because all my blogworthy meals are eaten at night, when the lighting is bad, I have no photos. Hence, no posting. But I am going to try and change all that!

10 Comments:

At 10:45 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I by far prefer the 'astringent' persimmons over the apple-clone fuyus. It isn't a flower-like leaf on top, though; as that is the actual blossom that the fruit was born from.

Back in California, when they were in season I would eat sometimes up to nine a day, including some I had picked myself for free.

 
At 2:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoo hoo! You've posted again :)

I am so in love with the Fuyu Persimmons at the moment that I've been buying cartons of them.

Have you got Ani Phyo's Raw Food book? She has a wicked Persimmon Pie and I've practically been living on it.

And, please please please blog more :) It doesn't matter if you have photos or not!

Hope to see you soon!

Kate

 
At 1:57 am, Blogger Erin said...

I've never had the crisp persimmon type, and I've only had astringent persimmons once, last year. The guy at the farmers market was great about explaining them to me and I bought two, but one wasn't ripe enough and was awful! Luckily I ate that one first, then ate the perfectly ripe, delicious one that was left.

 
At 3:40 am, Blogger Sam said...

I'm a Raw Vegan too and I've always wanted to try persimmons! They don't have them at my local organic market. It's cool that you're only 19, I'm 17! It's great that this wonderful movement is shifting to young people!

 
At 2:23 pm, Blogger Peggy said...

MMM, persimmons (any kind!) are most definitely my #1 favorite fruit ever! I could totally live for days just eating those orange orbs of deliciousness. :)

 
At 5:14 am, Blogger sue said...

I have a persimmon tree and each year about this time it is loaded down with fruit. The best ones are on the ground and my dog likes them too!
Love your blog :) I am only on day three of eating completely raw. So far, I feel better already. I seem to be eating a lot because I am having cravings for everything my husband is eating (chili and tortilla chips :() Hopefully I will calm down and stop eating all day long....but the persimmon tree helps.

 
At 3:43 pm, Anonymous Cara Mengobati Telapak Kaki Berlubang said...


______

This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website

Penyebab sering mimisan
Cara Mengatasi Cacar Air
Cara Menghilangkan Kantung mata
Obat Telinga Berkerak dan Berair
Obat Penghilang Jerawat dan Bekasnya
Cara Menyembuhkan Batuk Berkepanjangan

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0607
air more uptempo
louboutin shoes
dolce and gabbana
true religion outlet
michael kors outlet
michael kors
air huarache
nike store
coach outlet
nike store

 
At 10:02 am, Anonymous Cara Mengobati bisul said...


Thank you very helpful article

Cara Mengobati Benjolan di leher
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Typus
Obat Benjolan Dimata
Penyebab Kulit Tangan Mengelupas
Obat Biang Keringat Pada Bayi Anak-anak dan dewasa
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Gondongan Dengan Bahan Alami

 
At 2:48 am, Blogger yanmaneee said...

jordan 6
curry 7 shoes
jordan retro
off white jordan 1
yeezy shoes
birkin bag
yeezy boost 350
kobe basketball shoes
off white hoodie
bape hoodie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home