Friday, April 25, 2008

Stuff happening in my life!

Okay I know it has been a long time since I last posted and I am now going to try and explain why that is. As you may remember (visit this post if you want a refresher) I have been studying Vet Medicine and Surgery for the past two years but have been having some serious moral/ethical issues. In addition to that, after 14 straight years of being a full time student I am just a wee bit sick of studying. I was planning to just push through and finish my 5 year course but come time to start back at uni this year, I just couldn't do it. I kinda had a bit of a breakdown on the first day I was meant to go back... just couldn't do it. So I decided not to!

I don't know yet what I'm going to do next year but this year I am working at a wonderful wonderful cat shelter called The Cat Haven. It is a horribly sad job on many occasions but it is also fun and rewarding. Plus I adore all the people I work with!! We work on a roster, normally 8am to about 5pm though we often stay later. I have almost an hour travelling time each way, so I am out of the house 11 hours a day! At the moment I am working 4 days a week (though never the same days and usually not all in a row) plus I am still doing my personal raw food chef job for about 4 hours a week. And I am still in charge of all the food prep for my parents. So I'm super duper incredibly busy. I have been reading loooots of your blogs on a really regular basis, I just can't get motivated to write on my own for some reason! And even though I'm here now, I don't have that much to show you.



This is an African Horned Cucumber, local grown and organic. Sorry the picture quality is not great, I'm having trouble adjusting to daylights savings still (even though I'm VERY happy to have light mornings, it makes food photography hard). Although it looked totally awesome, it didn't taste that nice unfortunately; the skin was not edible and the inside was kind of filled with this jelly-like green stuff and lots of seeds. It had this odd, slightly sweet taste that I didn't really appreciate. But at one dollar, I think it was worth it just so I could look at it in the fruit bowl for about 5 days!!! :-)



Here is the sushi I made for my Mum tonight, the lighting is poor again and that bugs me cos I would have had a few really good photos. :-( But never mind. She loved it, that's what counts.





Finally, on another non-food note, I have a new family member. You know how even though it would be nice to save every single animal everywhere, there are just some that you get a feeling for... I looked at this boy and I got that feeling, big time. When anyone at work really really likes a cat, we just put a heap of effort into getting it adopted out to a good home. But this gorgeous boy didn't get adopted and then he was going to be euthanased, which I just couldn't bear. I don't know how I did it, but after several days of begging, cajoling, crying, pleading, sucking-up, bribing... whatever!... my wonderful parents finally said I could bring him home. His name is Tuli, meaning Serene in Swahili, which is exactly what he is. It is now 2 weeks since he came home and Ruhsa is still quite hissy but Casper has liked him from the start. They'll get there eventually!



Well, I'd better go as I have to be up early to work tomorrow. Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

7 Comments:

At 11:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, whilst feeling very sad that you felt you had to leave your studies, I must say, I hope your motivation for blogging picks up. I really look forward to reading all the great stuff you are doing, (and making) so please, keep motivated!! Love your new cat, I see in the photo Ruhsa has her back to the family! making her displeasure of the new family member as apparent as she can.!xx Daydreamer

 
At 3:40 am, Blogger erica said...

Hi Freedom
Congrats on quitting school, I often wonder what my life would be like if I had harnessed that energetic time of my life instead of wasting it on a useless art degree (then again, I didn't know what I wanted to do, so it may have just been more of a waste).

 
At 12:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and lucky boy he is :) It's so wonderful that you adopted him. I really admire what you're doing, there's no way I could do it - I'd have to rescue every one of them.

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Jennie said...

Hi Freedom. Good on you for knowing what is right for you now. Whether you return to study is yet to be seen but either way... everything is perfect. It's great you can take some time out to relax. Pushing yourself can be... exhausting.

I love your new cat. They are so gorgeous when all sleepy and curled up. I did have to larf at Rhusa all curled up with his back turned as well. Hee hee. Cats are so funny.

Much love to ya honey.

xoxoxo

 
At 3:52 am, Blogger Wheeler's Frozen Dessert said...

Cute cats!

 
At 10:08 pm, Blogger Wodgina said...

I hope your cat is no attacking native fauna

 
At 11:48 pm, Blogger Freedom said...

Hi anonymous,
It's not my motivation for blogging that's the problem - it's my schedule! Lol. But I really do want to post more often. I'm glad you enjoy the blog!

Thankyou Erica! I am simply doing what I feel is right... While it is totally your place to say, I would suggest that time is never wasted. Perhaps those years of your life didn't give you what you would optimally have liked/expected, but I"m sure they gave you something!!

Hey Kate
Yep it's hard. But at least I got one :-)

You're so right Jen - everything is wonderful and as it should be.

Yes, they are cute, lol :-)

Andrew, both my cats are kept permanently indoors with access to an outdoor run - trust me, I'm sure I care about our native animals as much as you do!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home