Saturday, April 14, 2007

A tough time in Blog Land
It seems that bloggers haven't been having the best time of it lately, so I would like to extend my deepest condolences to Don't Get Mad, Get Vegan who recently lost a baby she never had the chance to meet and also to Tania who lost her father suddenly. Big cyber hugs to you guys!!
Yesterday morning my Grandad died. It was, however, not a shock because he had lung cancer and his condition has been steadily decreasing for the last couple of months although everything happened so much faster than I could have imagined. That's the circle of life I suppose - he was 72 years old, he had lived a good and very interesting life. Although I don't support armed conflict at all I am still proud to say that he fought for his country despite having three young children, and he was also present at the going up of the Berlin Wall and was able to help civilians cross it whilst they were being shot at. I loved him dearly, here is a picture of us at christmas 2005.


Now lets get onto food! Here we have some 'rawviolis' as I like to call them. Thinly sliced zucchini is used in place of pasta and the filling is a blend of avocado/mushroom/garlic/lemon juice/maybe some other things.



You all know how much I love durian but last week I was very excited to discover these little guys (considerably smaller than durian's you've seen here in the past). They are D-24 variety durians from Malaysia, as opposed to the Mornthong variety from Thailand that are most widely available. These did have quite a different taste, I'm not sure I like them as much but what I did like is that these are 'naturally grown' aka uncertified organic. I hate the fact that durians are one of the only things that I ever eat that is conventional.



Lastly two photos to really get your mouth watering, these are little (raw vegan, of course!) chocolates I made for a raw picnic we're having today. I did make more than this but only photographed these ones. I can post the recipe on my other blog for you - it requires some slightly unusual ingredients but I think its worth it. I can't eat more than one at once, they're too sweet, but they are very good and taste very much like 'real' chocolate.



From another angle:



I'll come back later with picnic photos!

12 Comments:

At 8:58 pm, Blogger Jennie said...

Hi Freedom. I'm so sorry to hear about your Grandfather. What a life he had. Best wishes to you and your family and a big cyber (((((((((hug)))))))) too.

I love the rawvioli. So yummy. My hubby loves it too! I made your pizzas again tonight but instead of pineapple and basil did olive and oregano. mmmmm. Soooooo nice.

Those chockies look awesome. Can't wait to try some!

xoxoxoxo

 
At 10:31 pm, Blogger Mary Worrell said...

My condolences about your grandfather...

I love reading your blog...I've always been curious about the raw world.

 
At 3:42 am, Blogger erica said...

Sorry about your grandfather, it looks like he loved you very much.

Please do post the recipe for the chocolates! I have some raw cacao nibs in the cupboard I'll be dying to use in a few weeks.

 
At 11:24 am, Blogger Dori said...

Hugs to you. Sorry to hear about your granddad. I agree with erica, it looks like he loved you very much to. My dad dies when he was 72 in 1998.

 
At 7:35 am, Blogger bazu said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. He sounds like such an interesting man, and I love that photo of the two of you. It's always nice to be able to say that someone lived a good life and had real love in that life- reminds me of priorities to work towards.

 
At 7:45 am, Blogger Valerie Winters said...

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss. The photo of you and your grandfather is very sweet. Take care my dear.
VW

 
At 12:16 am, Blogger aTxVegn said...

What a lovely picture of you and your grandfather. He had a wonderful life and I know you'll miss him.

 
At 1:55 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you so very much for your kind words. and so much love to you and yours after the loss of your dear grandfather.

your food looks fantastic! i really need to implement more raw food into my diet. such an inspiration to do so!

 
At 4:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Raw Vegan Princess! :)

I'm a reporter from EmuNews- that's the news service that murdoch university provides. I came upon rawpleasure.com.au while googling for brocolli recipes (I'm trying to be vegetarian) and knew about you.

I'd like to do a story on raw food movement in WA- who they are and how/ why they adopted the raw food lifestyle. The writeup for EmuNews would be a more direct, news style please, but i'm hoping to do a more elaborate profile centrespread for my newspaper project.

By the way, would it be possible to give me other email contacts of raw vegans in perth? I'd love to talk to them as well- it's such an amazing lifestyle choice and admittedly, i'm thinking about going raw as well :)

my email is brendajy.chew@gmail.com

hope to hear from you soon!
--

Brenda Chew
Reporter
EmuNews

DID: 0415 686 558

 
At 3:37 am, Blogger THE WALK-IN said...

So sorry to hear of your grandfather's passing, and others who have had life altering experiences. Remember, when one soul leaves the planet, another comes ;0)

Scrumptous foods to try...your amazing with your sauces. I wish I could be more adventurous in mixing things together like that.

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger Vicki's Vegan Vice said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather -- he sounds like an amazing man and that's a lovely photo of you two.
I've never had (nor seen) durians, but am on the look-out because of your thoughts -- I remember other posts of yours about it...

 
At 3:03 am, Blogger yanmaneee said...

supreme hoodie
supreme clothing
ultra boost
jordan shoes
jordan shoes
yeezy
hermes handbags
hermes online
bape hoodie
off white x nike

 

Post a Comment

<< Home